WHAT DO YOU USE TO POWER YOUR AIR ENGINES /MOTORS ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V 45

Reaction score
I was curious as to what you use to power your air engines/ motors with? Do you use your regular compressor from shop air or something else completely ?
Thanx again,
V 45

V,

Basically you can use whatever you like as long as it turns your engine over, even on some, lung power.

I personally use my shop air supply from a fairly large compressor in a back room, but a lot of people use airbrush compressors and even fish tank pumps for small engines.

The thing is, if you want to run them in the house then that obviously rules out the large shop compressors, and also some of the airbrush ones as well, as they can be rather noisy.

The ideal for running in the home or at a show is one of the 'silent' compressors, but they are usually a lot more expensive than the normal compact type.

Hope this helps.

John

For demonstration, I use an inexpensive Harbor Freight airbrush compressor similar to this one,

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-8-eighth-hp-40-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-93657.html

It's quiet enough that one can conduct a conversation while standing next to it. However, by all means listen to a prospective purchase so you can judge if it's too loud for your ears.

Before I had the compressor I used an air "pig" (portable air tank used for refilling tires) but my larger two cylinder engines drained it fairly quickly. For our low pressure requirements a car or truck inner tube would be a workable, though supremely awkward, possibility.

I've been thinking about making a little compressor/IC engine combination gizmo. Run that for a while and fill up a tank, then run air engines off that ;D

I picked one of THESE up at WalMart, on sale for $60.

The little 1 gallon Campbell Hausfeld compressor they have now would do as well.

Rick

I've tried a dual output aquarium pump - without success. Admittedly, it was a small pump, but maybe my machining isn't good enough, which is more than likely.
Now I just stick to using my shop compressor, which sits under a wooden box lagged with old carpet to deaden the sound to a reasonable level.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I am currently using a pancake compressor from HF. It is quite loud and the regulator is poor at lower output pressures.

I scavanged a compressor out of a refridgerator that I am hoping will be able to keep pace with an engines air needs. They are nearly silent.
Alan

Here's what worked on my very first wobbler:

99-IMG_0357.jpg

Short runs only in both directions. The engine performing much better on the 'recharging' stroke, hindsight obvious.

then came a bicycle pump, a dual action hand pump (that was for continous duty), ...

...even used air from a scuba bottle, but that 200bar source was scary.

Of course, THE AIR LINE WAS NOT RIGIDLY CONNECTED TO THE BOTTLE: I only held the pipe close to it by hand.

The engine run rather fast, I would have not been surprised had I had it exploding.

Now, I'm the proud owner of the noisiest commercial 25lt / single cylynder / oil-less air compressor ever produced.
Manages to be a real pain, though enclosed and set into another room.
't was the cheapest, You bet.

Marcello

Thank you for the great idea's !! I will look into making one. I have a very small compressor that I use for filling tires and didn't think it would work very well.
Thanx again...V 45

Latest posts

Back