Westbury side paddle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steam passages done. Bores lapped and covers begun. Slow progress but having fun :D

Hi Herbie
k040.gif
k015.gif

Great job so far!
Regards
Gerhard

Thanks Gerhard. I should get a bit more done on the weekend

Looking good Herbie.
Great way to celebrate your birthday.
Happy Birthday.
Gail in NM

Thanks Gail. Treated myself to a 12" digital height gage for my birthday. Even at 65 I love new toys :D

A bit more on the slide thingy today. At bit slow as I'm also working on VFD mods

Next step is the con rods. Don't you just love it when things go to plan :cool:

Working on the slide valves today

Any advice on mating/ lapping the valve to the cylinder greatly appreciated.

Use fine wet and dry on a surface plate for cyl face and valve face and it will be good
Don

Thanks Don. I got 600, 1200 and 2000 grit.

I would think 1200 would be ok,it will soon bed in when run for awhile.You are doing a great job
Don

Thanks Don. Just wondering about the eccentric straps. How did you go about making them. At 1/16" thick they seem a bit awkward to machine. Can they be made using TIG welding?

the eccentric rods on my plan show 1/16" thick which would make machining a bit difficult. Maybe brazing ?

I silver soldered the foot on after making the rod from 5/16" flat steel,or you could silver solder a lump on the end of some 1/16 thick and machine to the shape shown,which ever way its a lot of work. but satisfying
Don

I shall follow in your footsteps Don. Silver soldering the foot sounds good to me.

Glad to be of some help,my brother made one of these with a lot of mods,he thought the crossheads and guides were not true marine practice
Don

Back