Westbury side paddle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not a lot of progress today but managed to drill the bearings in a straight line. Next step will be the two crankshafts. Not sure which way to go. Carve them out of flat bar or to use the drill rod assembly method. Any advice greatly appreciated as the shaft is 3/8" and the web 3/16".

I made built-up cranks. Decide whether you are going to build the water pump. If not, then the inner shafts of the crank can be made longer to just fit a simple coupling.

Yep,it was built up shafts for me,much easier
Don

Thanks for the replies. Built up is the go. :)

You dont hang about do you,looking good
Don

Thanks Don. Too cold outside to do anything so the day is spent in my warm workshop making chips :D

Wow, nice build so far. I'm looking forward to see the build.

Many thanks for the kind comments. Spent today making more chips on the cylinders.

You'll notice that the cylinder cover is drawn rotated 90 degrees. The flats on the flange are shown horizontal while they are vertical when mounted (they are the mount points for the crosshead guide bars).

Notice the mounting holes by the flats need to be countersunk to avoid conflict with the guide bars. If you rotate the hole pattern 15 degrees you avoid that conflict and can use the same screws all around. Of course you'd need to rotate the holes on the cylinder to match.

Thanks Gerhard and Kvom. I shall definately take your advice Kvom and rearrange the holes. Thanks for the tip.

If you rotate the hole pattern 15 degrees .................................

Hi kvom
Could you please show this "for dummies" (ME!!) on a drawing? This will help me, when I find some time to build that engine..........:hDe:
Regards
Gerhard

WRT to rotating the mounting holes, it's advisable to draw the cover in CAD and see if there is interference with the size of fastener you plan to use. Metric, imperial, and BA screw heads all have different sizes.

Did you mean this holes??
Detail Plans.jpg

Actually it's best to ignore that advice. I was going by memory, but today I went to look at my partial build, and doing the holes that was will not fit as the screw heads or bolts will interfere with the bars. I had decided to just use the 6 holes on the sides (45 degrees apart) and skip the top and bottom ones. I used 5-40 screws, and the head of a flat head capscrew is .28" in diameter, so too large. Even 4-40 is too large unless you trim the head.

Trimming the heads was what I was thinking about. As far as I`m not building this engine at the time, I`m just "collecting" the tips and hints to avoid mistakes:hDe: Thanks for advice!
Regards
Gerhard
PS.:In my post #2/page 1 in this thread I forgot the last PDF-File, Side 14! It is placed now in the named post, just some finishing notes, no drawings. SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back