Webster again

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coomba

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my Webster running, and I'm very pleased with it. It starts easily, runs smooth, gains RPM quickly when I open the throttle. It will sit and idle for as long as I let it. I have noticed, what seems to me, as an excess of a black oily liquid from the exhaust. Originally I used a 25 -1 Coleman fuel mixture. I have thinned it down, adjusted the carb. adjusted the timing, and it still runs good, but I can't get rid of the black stuff from the exhaust. This is my first engine so I don't know what to expect. Is this normal, or is something wrong?

I have my Webster running, and I'm very pleased with it. It starts easily, runs smooth, gains RPM quickly when I open the throttle. It will sit and idle for as long as I let it. I have noticed, what seems to me, as an excess of a black oily liquid from the exhaust. Originally I used a 25 -1 Coleman fuel mixture. I have thinned it down, adjusted the carb. adjusted the timing, and it still runs good, but I can't get rid of the black stuff from the exhaust. This is my first engine so I don't know what to expect. Is this normal, or is something wrong?
That is normal. the engine doesn't get hot enough to burn any lubricating oil mixed with the fuel, so the oil mixed with carbon and the by-products of combustion drips out the exhaust pipe. Fortunately, in the case of the Webster, it drips right onto the timing gears and lubricates them. The only way to get rid of the black icky stuff is to not mix any lubricant with your fuel at all. Just be sure to keep oil in the lubricator on top of the cylinder so your piston doesn't seize.

That is normal. the engine doesn't get hot enough to burn any lubricating oil mixed with the fuel, so the oil mixed with carbon and the by-products of combustion drips out the exhaust pipe. Fortunately, in the case of the Webster, it drips right onto the timing gears and lubricates them. The only way to get rid of the black icky stuff is to not mix any lubricant with your fuel at all. Just be sure to keep oil in the lubricator on top of the cylinder so your piston doesn't seize.

Thanks Brian, I figured that may be the case, but needed an experts advice to set my mind at ease. Would it be true than, that as long as there is black exhaust, I will have enough lubricant in the fuel?

Are you running a viton ring? If so, go down to a 50:1 mix. See what happens. The worst that happens is that you may have to replace a ring that costs less than a dollar. If you are running a cast iron ring, run straight fuel, no oil in it. Just make sure the lubricator on top of the cylinder has oil in it.

Are you running a viton ring? If so, go down to a 50:1 mix. See what happens. The worst that happens is that you may have to replace a ring that costs less than a dollar. If you are running a cast iron ring, run straight fuel, no oil in it. Just make sure the lubricator on top of the cylinder has oil in it.

I haven't put a lubricator on it yet.

Latest posts

Back