Webster 4 cycle 2013 edition

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadianhorsepower

Reaction score
I will try this again
I will build a Webster 4 cycle with many options or upgrade:)
One of them is a digital RPM I would like to know what is the normal operating RPM range for this motor.
To complete the electronic circuit for the TACH it's a must*discussion*
thanks for your reply
cheers

You seem to know your way around electronics. How about a dyno to harness all those sensor readings & blinking lights into something that delivers diagnostic torque curve accross rpm range?

My (more electro-smart) buddy tells me that the raw ingredients in the form of RC data loggers & motors run 'in reverse' as generators & existing laptop interface could be adapted. Its beyond my ability to design, but I would certainly build one if you got it figured out! :)

You seem to know your way around electronics. How about a dyno to harness all those sensor readings & blinking lights into something that delivers diagnostic torque curve accross rpm range?

My (more electro-smart) buddy tells me that the raw ingredients in the form of RC data loggers & motors run 'in reverse' as generators & existing laptop interface could be adapted. Its beyond my ability to design, but I would certainly build one if you got it figured out! :)
are you talking about a data logger on a usb port??

this is exactly what you're looking for
http://www.twf8.ws/new/tech/ctss/downloads/manual/ctss_manual.htm#Wiring_Diagram

enjoy

Not to polllute your post.. (maybe I will create one with the general title 'model engine dynamometer' one day). From what I can see of the link, it is tracking clutch & engine rpm & that differential is somehow meaningful for engagement? Unless I missed it, I dont see any mention of torque setting or variable applied load in order to ultimately determine BHP. The (temp/rpm) datalogging part to PC I have figured out. There are lots of generic RC gizmos that do that now along the lines of Eagletree. Its the varying 'load' part I don't quite get, especially something clean like a generator vs mechanical brake or load cells.

Coincidentally, this topic was discussed on this forum, Jan-2013 issue
http://www.modelenginenews.org/
About 2/3 the way down the page, click on the imbedded link ‘test-rigs’ withinthe sentence below. It then links to kind of a neat chronology of different model dyno's built & otherwise attempted.
engineering using sophisticated model engine test-rigs to measure and quantify model engine characteristics and compare these to theoretical values

Last edited:
Not to polllute your post.. (maybe I will create one with the general title 'model engine dynamometer' one day). From what I can see of the link, it is tracking clutch & engine rpm & that differential is somehow meaningful for engagement? Unless I missed it, I dont see any mention of torque setting or variable applied load in order to ultimately determine BHP. The (temp/rpm) datalogging part to PC I have figured out. There are lots of generic RC gizmos that do that now along the lines of Eagletree. Its the varying 'load' part I don't quite get, especially something clean like a generator vs mechanical brake or load cells.

Coincidentally, this topic was discussed on this forum, Jan-2013 issue
http://www.modelenginenews.org/
About 2/3 the way down the page, click on the imbedded link ‘test-rigs’ withinthe sentence below. It then links to kind of a neat chronology of different model dyno's built & otherwise attempted.
engineering using sophisticated model engine test-rigs to measure and quantify model engine characteristics and compare these to theoretical values

oes indeed have the datalogk I hav eteh datalogger part figured out
Ok here we go, I'll try to explain this to the simplest ( that's what i do in class anyway) althow there are many ways to calculate HP this one is what we need.
Example: What is the horsepower of a 1725 rpm motor with a FLT 3.1 lb-ft?
HP = rpm x T

Why ??? it's easy to have a torque reading and accurately.simply using a digital scale used in a kitchen purchasse
for $10.00 at Target.
How?? simply by using a lever
Example: What is the horsepower of a 1725 rpm motor with a FLT 3.1 lb-ft?
HP = rpm x T

HP = 1725 x 3.1
HP = 5347.5
HP = 1 hp

http://www.eeweb.com/toolbox/calculator

Now if we use a leverage math we can change from 1/10 will equal 1 hp by using a lever that would apply pressure
on your scaleso 1/10 of a kilo (use metric) wil show 1 on your scale.
now you need to know the RPM of your engine (your trouble) and tie it to the scale and lever to have some reading
to do the math( no to give you a number)
Step 1 engine to your desire RPM slowly increase the link between your scale lever and your motor.
you will be applying pressure to the scale. When the engine RPM drops your at your max RPM then do the math
and you have an output HP answer. Sure you can wright a "c" program to show this on a screen.
et "voici" your all done
Sure enought you can use stress strip in electronic and make it more elaborate. will it change your output
YES if you don't know what you're doing
I did add a few more links you might find usefull

Back