Water cutting source

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosey

Reaction score
How can I find someone to water-cut 1/2" aluminum plate into intricate shape? I want to make a sign out of aluminum plate with large (12") numerals cut out of it.
I am on the Delaware River in NJ.

Thank you, Tin. I got 10 names from Google, and 1 is within an hour from me. I will check the one you mention.
Must be hard water!

Mosey said:
Must be hard water!

Water-jet cutting uses a powdered abrasive mixed with the water. The abrasive does the cutting and the water provides the cutting force and cooling. They work great for cutting temp sensitive material like plastics.

Cheers

Jeff

A few years I visited a shop that had a waterjet machine. Water is pumped to about 60,000 psi, it exits a nozzle at the cutter head in a stream of .010 diameter and a speed of mach 3 ( speed of sound X 3) a tube surrounds the nozzle and Garnet very fine. flows into the tube and is picked up by the water. This abrasive is what does the cutting, carried by the high speed water. It uses big 60hp plus motors, and very very clean water. The pumps are built with ceramic pistons and cylinders Big $$ I'd guess. High Maintenance for sure.

Back