Water Cooled Webster

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, how do you keep the fuel from just draining out through the carburetor when engine isn't running?

Chuck

Bob, how do you keep the fuel from just draining out through the carburetor when engine isn't running?

Chuck

Hi Chuck
That’s easy. Gravity.
While I was stressing away trying to figure out how to drill a hole in glass, seal it in a way that the fuel wouldn't dissolve, and some sort of float/drip system to control the delivery. My wife said “why not just make the top piece a facade and put your gas in the bottom part”. :wall: Out of the mouths of babes.
So the top is just the world’s second fanciest gas cap with some colored water in it. The actual fuel cell is in the bottom half of the base with a 1/8” OD copper vent/overflow tube.

Cap And Base.jpg

So the top is just the world’s second fanciest gas cap with some colored water in it. The actual fuel cell is in the bottom half of the base with a 1/8” OD copper vent/overflow tube.

Brilliant Bob, would never have thought of that.

Paul.

Hi Bob,
That is a very original and unique fuel tank. Just as though the engine drove to a Gas Station to top up. Could remember these hand-operated fuel dispensers which disappear from Singapore in the early 40s though some 2T petrol mixers cum dispenser could be seen in the rural countryside in the late 50s.
Now cranking my brainbox to come up with another unique fuel tank. Taking my sweet time to finish up the Nemett-Lynx.

Hi Bob,
That is a very original and unique fuel tank. Just as though the engine drove to a Gas Station to top up. Could remember these hand-operated fuel dispensers which disappear from Singapore in the early 40s though some 2T petrol mixers cum dispenser could be seen in the rural countryside in the late 50s.
Now cranking my brainbox to come up with another unique fuel tank. Taking my sweet time to finish up the Nemett-Lynx.

Gus, how about a model fuel tanker truck with the tank built into the trailer hooked to that big ole lynx engine?

Gus, how about a model fuel tanker truck with the tank built into the trailer hooked to that big ole lynx engine?

Its a challenge to look around for some device. May end up with some device very original and cranky. Now waiting for divine inspiration. ;)

Hi Gus
I think my “divine inspiration” came via Google. I was searching images for “Model Engine Fuel Tank” and it kept showing me gas pumps.
Your Nemett-Lynx is what I think of as a high performance engine. You could keep the tank a clean simple design, polish it up and put it on a stylized base.
scratch.gif

Untitled.jpg

Chucketn
These might be a little small but let me know if they make any sense

Water Tank 01.jpg

Water Tank.jpg

Thanks for posting the water jacket drawings, Bob. I had a hard time getting my head around the addition. As I have a small foundry set up, I think I'll try casting both the water jacket and the frame when I build this version of the Webster. As the Webster will be my first IC engine, I think it best for me to start with the air cooled version first.

Great build, and a great runner too!

Chuck

Latest posts

Back