Warco ZX15 Mill/Drill spindle runout

Help Support HMEM:

Steamchick

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
3 Ettrick grove, Sunderland , Tyne & Wear, SR 48
Peculiarly, the Chinese basic machines come in lots of variants unique to international sales companies.... but basics, like bearing arrangements, are usually the same. (I hope!).
Both Warco and Chesters are reputed to use "ex-machine shop or toolmakers" to do service checks and any adjustment to settings before shipping to customers. They also require the machines to comply with National regulations - for electrical safety, etc. - so they have various factory mods as appropriate to the country of sale. These are not always in the manuals and diagrams... Even motors can be different from the diagrams, as markets and products change.
All good to keep us guessing!
K2

wazrus

Reaction score
Reading all the contributions with interest, as It's the first time, in over 40 years, that I've seen the 'ZX' brand mill/drills discussed. My ZX28 soldiers on and with all due consideration, the round column has not proved to be anything like the handicap as was suggested at the time. In fact, there have been times when I've swung the head around 180 degrees to access a job on the shop floor! Failures have included the plastic speed change levers and those silly plastic handwheel knobs, all of which self-destructed and I have replaced the thrust bearings in the cross-slide and also replaced the oil seals in the head. Of course, the head had to be completely stripped to access the seals and as that was more than ten years ago, I couldn't give a blow-by-blow description of the process. The head innards wallow around in an oil bath and there was a window, which leaked, to look at the oil level. I've replaced the window with a dipstick arrangement. I have the impression that the ZX15 uses sealed/greased bearings? Perhaps the ZX28 is a more advanced model!! Ho ho ho ho. The diagrams I have, all annotated in Chinese, show four bearings supporting the spindle and I have dimensions of the bearings, if anybody wants that detail. Good value for the price.

Steamchick

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
3 Ettrick grove, Sunderland , Tyne & Wear, SR 48
Mine has belt change pulleys - all manual - so no gearbox issues. I think it dates from 1980s or 90s, as I bought it 3rd hand from a guy who had used it for 5 years or more.. After buying it "a bit worn and obsolete"... but works fine for my jobs, though needs some TDC now. With heavy cuts it can rotate on the round pillar (poor clamps) - I have changed the bolts to high tensile, but to no avail.
K2

skyline1

Reaction score
I have the impression that the ZX15 uses sealed/greased bearings
Yes it has 5 bearings in the spindle assembly the top 2, which take the load from the drive pulley are standard 6007 open bearings which appear to have no means of greasing them other than taking the pulley and top bearing mounting off. I have found out that this is a fairly simple operation and probably what was originally intended. The manual makes no mention of lubricating them though. I may well change them for 2RS ones at a later date possibly deep groove ones.

The bottom 3 are obviously preloaded, adjustable bearings of some kind and there is an oil post on the quill but exactly what they are I don't know yet as I haven't had chance to try getting the quill out and may be busy this week (domestic jobs do tend to get in the way of things)

One minor concern I have is, if the quill drive pinion needs to come out this means disconnecting the return spring which is pretty strong. Getting it out will probably not be too difficult, but springs being springs, getting it back in could be a different matter altogether. That part may result in some rather "fruity" language or even things getting thrown about.

Best Regards Mark

wazrus

Reaction score
It all sounds as though your 'ZX' mill is very different from mine. It came with a very ,very comprehensive 'manual', but chinese isn't a strong suit and it's more than double-Dutch. But there are some diagrammatic parts and assembly drawings. It's all printed on dyeline plan-printing paper which even still has that ammoniac smell and it hasn't all faded away! Yet. Bound in a nice plastic binder, too.

Latest posts