Wanting to get started in CNC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
If a guy wanted to get into cnc

I'll suggest Sherline.
Quality mills, complete packages available, plenty of accessories and tooling available, and great support and parts availability. I'm quite happy with my little Sherline mill.

Jack:
There are lots of options out there. There are "bolt on" kits and prewired electronics packages for the x-2. The problem here is you still need to add some limit switches speed sensors and integrate spindle control . there are also x-2s that are pre cncd. and yes you should look at sherline and taige. They also have pre cnced machines.
After building the little x-2 with the stirling steel plans I think if I was in your situation I would take a serious look at the new offerings fom www.littlemachineshop.com you will need to add a computer and may need to purchase a MAch 3 license but otherwise these are ready to go and lms has tormach tooling for cncs if you have the bucks and want to part with them. the LMS machines are factory designed and built cousins of the x-2 .x3
Contact village press and request a free trial copy of digital machinist and check out the offerings by the advertisers.

Tin

I have an IMservice DeskCNC servo kit on my Taig mill. It was pretty much plug-and-play and works well, but I don't recommend that kit anymore since support went from free to paid and it appears the software and hardware support is fading. The Taig CNC models get pretty good reviews but I've not seen one in person. IIRC some of the Seig mills are being made CNC up front now, but I know nothing of those. The ultimate "plug and play" home CNC is something like a Tormach (barring $30K Haas office-mills and such), but it's not really "small".

Hi Jack

Have a look at these. The company is in the UK but I believe they ship world wide.
They also offer all the stepper motors and controllers for those who wish to fit themselves.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/CNC-Milling-Machines

My mate Julian (Barneydog on this forum) has converted his x1 mill to full cnc. It hasn't been easy but he's done it with parts suplied by the above company.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Everyone

Has anyone heard of or had any dealings with this company?

http://www.syilamerica.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=37

If I understand their website correctly they offer everything that is needed to turn my old X2 mini mill into a CNC machine. They also furnish a license for Mach3 software which I already have downloaded and tried the demo version on my Windows XP computer. But then do I still have to get and learn a drawing program? I am trying to figure out what I could possibly getting myself into. After building several small motors and projects I think that I could handle mounting the motors, changing to ball screws and all the mechanical parts, I'm just not sure of my electronic ability. If this turns out to be a very frustrating process it may just not be worth it. I know how to turn the cranks on my mill and lathe but I see so many people making things on a cnc machine that are just beautiful. Engraving comes to mind along with curves and graceful arcs.

I guess I need to talk to someone who has "been there and done that".

Thanks

Jack

When I bought my Sherline, about 5 years ago, I replaced all og teh electronics with a Xylotex control board and better stepper motors, and ran the thing on Mach 3. Since I was using a dedicated computer for mill-only operations, I eventually switched to the Linux-based, and free, EMC2. I wish I'd switched sooner!
Now I'm in the middle of building a CNC router for my parents, using Gecko's G540 controller... a MUCH better way to go. I might upgrade my Sherline with the same.

Check out CNCzone's "Benchtop Machines" forum secion for LOTS of helpful advice.
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164

If you want a nice little system to learn on I am a Sherline dealer and can give you a good deal.

E-Mail me at [email protected] if you want more info.

I have a sherline CNC mill that I play with that is a nice starting point. If you overrun the x or y axis you won't break anything. :)

As far as cad and CAM software they can be powereful but an additional expence and learning curve.
The mach 3 has mill add ons that allow for conversational programming there are some parts of it that will allow you to "cpy" a part or drawing into the machine and there is a basic engraving program built in.
Tin

Converting a mill to CNC is a very steep learning curve if you're starting from scratch but then it's probably the best way if you 'really' want to learn.

If money's no object then I'd recommend going the ready built route. Trust me, you'll still have a lot to learn before making parts !

www.cnczone.com is the place to be.

A friend of mine has just received a new KX1 cnc mill from Harbor Freight. It took forever to arrive, but now that its there we have it running and I think its a GREAT machine. This is the same machine sold in Europe by ArceuroTrade, and in the US by Little Machine Shop.

This mill is 10 times the capability of a Sherline. Its all cast iron, It comes with ball screws, and I could not measure any backlash in any axis. This is not simply a conversion of a X1 mill, its a whole different machine. It is very finely finished in every respect, well painted, nice sheet metal cabinets and a big coolant tray.

I saw the one LMS had at NAMES, but they wouldnt let me take it apart :) Now that my friend has one we opened it up and looked very close and Im more than ever convinced its a great little machine. The box includes all the electronics, even a driver for a 4th axis. Everything is neatly wired into one nice box. All you need to add is a PC and parallel port cable. It took less than 5 minutes to install Mach and have this thing running.

They have supplied a fine manual, with full details of Mach and how to run it. There is a dedicated web site for support of the machine- http://www.smallcncsupport.com/

We have not yet made a part, waiting for table clamps and collets. Ill post something here after Ive run it.

Thanks Everyone for the replies and advice. Unfortunately since I couldn't find anyplace that could give a laundry list of exactly what is needed to convert a mini mill to CNC, evidently there is a lot of voodoo black science with this type of thing that I found a little overwhelming I decided to shelve this idea for awhile. Instead I bought a new SONY 52" LCD television and signed up for a HD package with Direct TV. Did you guys know that television in the USA went digital a while back. At least my living room is up to date with digital and computer gear.

Jack

Starting a new engine soon, when the plans get here by mail.

Sorry you gave up and "invested" in a TV.

Home Shop Machinist, and other magazines have run lengthy

articles on machine conversions.

We all know about digital TV, thank you.

I like the Engineering Disasters show on History.

Enjoy yourself! and dream about what you could be

making in your sleep.

mite

dscn1867.jpg

Sorry we couldn't do all your leg work for you.

Sounds like you have made the right decision though and bought a new 52" TV, just need a new settee and a few 6 packs.

Jack would glad have given a launry list . You seemed to be leaning toward a prebuild. So feel free to ask any questions for later. BTW what the heck is a TV for anyway????
Tin

Hey Tin
I originally said that since I already had a mini mil, a computer and all the other sundries to cut metal, I thought that I would like to turn the mini into a CNC. I could find servo motors but they didn't know what it took to make them turn. I found break out boards but they didn't know what motors it would work with. and on and on. I didn't want to buy expensive motors or computer parts only to let the smoke out because I hooked up the red wire to the black spot on something. OH, its tough to get old when all you can remember is the plug had a black wire and a white and it didn't make any difference which way you plugged it in.

Jack

Did you even bother to look at any links that people posted ?

I don't know much beyond wiring a wall socket and I had little trouble sourcing and matching up the components to CNC my Sherline 2000 mill and then assembling and wiring it all together. Worked first time I hit a key too ! The learning curve after that is not that bad. You can see some details here :

http://www.ldrider.ca/cnc/cnc-index.htm

Latest posts

Back