Wanting to get started in CNC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I converted this mill in about a week, I baught a kit from a company called Probotix. It came with steppers, breakouts, power supply, and controller.
I had to build the inclosure and stepper mounts.
I also had to make universal joints to addapt them, when it was all said and done I used the axels from a T-Maxx rc truck.
The kit is a little over $300 but a lot cheaper than a direct bolt on.
I use Mach 3 and love it.
I build a lot of rc car chassis with it, mainly rc rock crawlers.

DSC01978.JPG

DSC01973.JPG

DSC01975.JPG

DSC01975.JPG

DSC01979.JPG

at $300 that's got to be good value Burton :bow: and it seems as though it was pretty straightforward to fit, like the use of the RC truck UJ's and axle's, nice one .....

CC

I've just had a look at the Probotix web site, they certainly seem to offer a heck of a lot for the money, pity there isn't a UK branch :(

Link is here guys if anyone wants to have a browse .............. Click Here

CC

the most dificult part was setting up the backlashes and parameters on the program.
I got an electric enclosure from an electric supply house, drilled and taped for the boards and wired it up, it is 1600steps so it is very accurate, it got warm so I installed heat sincs and a fan

Sounds like a nice project, I know it's now in the past as far as you are concerned but, if you could cobble together a "how to" thread I think know it would be very popular ................ just a thought mind, not wanting to apply lot's of pressure in your first week here ::)

and I do mean that, your here to enjoy yourself, full stop ............. chip in when and where you want ;)

CC

Hey Jack... I'm new to this forum and only 3 years into hobby CNC. I started out in my local Trade school in East TN. There we have quality instruction on G-Code, Featurecam, MasterCam, and SolidWorks. Also, in TN, us seniors can good to school for "free". That is we audit the course.. no homework or tests ;D... but we have access (8 hours a day) to a full manual machine shop plus Haas CNC mills and Lathes. It's been a great way for a total newbee to learn.
rog/tn

CC that sounds like a good idea, I am thinking about changing my couplers to steel instead of plastic from the rc truck.
If so I have to redo most of the settings and backlashes.
I made a set of universals for a rc truck out of steel, I think they will work great.
I am scared the plastic ones will wallow out the set screw during a cut on an important piece.
Last night it was acting odd when finding "0", I am putting together a step by step on a small 4 stroke .4375 bore ohv.
I usually don't take pics but I can get used to it, most of them are after I finish the part, I forget to take pics.
sorry now, back to the original post- the setup I use is versatile and easy to use
In my opinion that is the way to go
I will make a how to soon on the Probotix kit.
I cant bear to take apart my controller, so I will improvise.
I bought an extra breakout board and driver, just in case.
-B-

rog/tn said:
Hey Jack... I'm new to this forum and only 3 years into hobby CNC. I started out in my local Trade school in East TN. There we have quality instruction on G-Code, Featurecam, MasterCam, and SolidWorks. Also, in TN, us seniors can good to school for "free". That is we audit the course.. no homework or tests ;D... but we have access (8 hours a day) to a full manual machine shop plus Haas CNC mills and Lathes. It's been a great way for a total newbee to learn.
rog/tn
Hi and wEc1 have you had any experience with SolidCam
Regards Rob

Hi and welcome have you had any experience with SolidCam
Regards Rob

Rob... No experience with SolidCam.
One of the neat things we can do at school is import "solids" 3D drawings directly into our Cam software. The software automatically creates the tool paths and tools.... it only takes minor tweaking to have a finished program. This is almost cheating ;D.
We also have a 3D printer that allows us to print out parts at any scale. Does your state offer free college classes for Seniors? In TN, I can go to any state school...trade school or university...one cost of $10 for registration.
rog

Latest posts

Back