Wallaby

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm here too Pete. Don't say much, but am enjoying the build a lot.

Ron

Pete,
You have quite an following of readers with over 33,000 views of this thread.
As a long time fan of ETW designs I have been following every post you have made. Thank you for the detailed postings.

Gail in NM

Looking good Pete. Been on holiday for a week. Looking forward to seeing and hearing this run.

Brock

Thanks for checking in guys
The Support could not come at a better time and is very much appreciated!

Posting as u go in a build is fraught with danger as your mistakes and little accidents are very public.
I was talking with a very respected member the other day who made the observation that he only commented on a build when he saw something extraordinary.
Well my builds are the sum total of very simple steps, nothing extraordinary at all, but I do hope the end result will be :big:

Today I bent up a old hacksaw blade and riveted it on the Distributor Cap holder.
I ground off the teeth and used the existing hole for a 1/8 rivet, I might have to paint it which I try to avoid when I can but a little wont hurt :big:
perhaps I can match the distributor colour
Pete
capholder.jpg

Hi mate, new to this sight and found your thread this morning and just finished reading 36 pages now.
:bow: What a great job you are doing! :bow:
I have one question about your spark plugs, it seems you made a sleeve after deciding on a smaller sized plug. Does the end of the spark plug still protrude into the head enough?
Looking forward to first firing!

Hi Blue
Thanks mate
Hows the Webster going Buddy? :)

Wellcome Peter
Reading all 36 pages at one sitting must have taken a while :big:
When I look back at the first couple of pages I'm amazed how far its come.
From memory Buddy I made the sleeves first and custom made the plugs to suit.
ETW does give the option of pocketing the plugs to avoid oiling up due to the "efficient oiling system" but I just made them flush and if I have to, can make shorter reach plugs later.
A KP from me for the Marathon :big:
Pete

Looking good mate. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob
Looks like you are just about ready to rock and roll over your way :bow:
looking forward to it,
Pete

Hiya Pete

No progress on the Webster over the last week and to quote Bogstandard "...you will spend more time making tooling and holding fixtures than actually making the parts, that is a fact of life in our hobby" and that's sure been the case for me over the last week. I really enjoy making tooling, which is a good thing because I seem to spend a fair bit of time doing that, as well as setting up my workshop.

The mill I got around Xmas time has need tramming real bad so I spent a few hours shimming the column and have now got it cutting to within about 0.01mm over 150mm, hopefully good enough for my needs. I'm also getting together the materials to make a steel drawer mobile cabinet to go under the mill. Picked up some 40mm RHS at the recycle centre on Sunday so I've almost got what I need to get that project moving.

I've also just finished off a micrometer stand that has been half done for several months. I knocked up some soft jaws over the weekend as well as progressing some machining for a sculpture I'm working on. On top of that I made a few MT2 blanks that I will use with my 4" rotary table, one for a small chuck and another for a centreing doover.

Tonight I made a start on some 'T' nuts I need to clamp the Webster base to the rotary table to cut a recess for the shot glass fuel tank. I hope to knock over the fuel tank this weekend and maybe a bit more to boot.

I've gone back over most of your Wallaby build thread and you are doing some great work on this engine. Can't wait to hear her run.

Hi Blue
That Webster is coming along really well, Much better then my Webster, but Id never turned on a lathe or Mill before and started building it to learn to use them.
I Wonder what you will be building in two years time, Stick at it, but dont be to hard on yourself, remember one good part at a time.
Pete

Hi Guys
Bez has had a chance to do a pour but unfortunately has had dramas with his core mixture, resulting in the core breaking down in one piston.
I chucked up in the 4 jaw using the internal bore as my datum, once I machined it concentric I reversed it in the chuck and after clocking up, machined the chucking piece concentric with the piston.
I then reversed, reclocked and machined the piston to size, after that I cleaned up the internal bore, flush to the gudgeon boss.
There is still just a little pitting on one side of the lower piston that did not clean up but its minimal and I'm hoping it will retain oil and not be a problem.
The next step will be setting up in the dividing head 3 jaw on the mill to cross drill and machine the gudgeon boss gap.
Pete
p2.jpg

p1.jpg

Pete

You are nearly there. Are the pistons the only parts you need to do?

Vince

Hi Vince
Ive been slack on this one I know but ill get there sooner or later :big:
I still need to do all the pipe work and fittings for the oil pump as well as the pistons etc, But Im sure there will be other odds and ends that need doing as i get closer.
Pete

Hi Pete.
How does that engine of your sound ?
I mean it must be done by now heeeeeeeeeeey :)

Hi Darren
How goes it Mate ;D
Had to let her sit for a while and think about how she is going :big:
At one stage I was stuffing up everything I did and there is too much work in her now to risk that.
Today I was having a play with the oil pump and hit a minor snag with the gears, which are a very tight fit into the main body. I think all that is needed is a bit of a polish to give me a little bit of clearance, as the gears install into the end plates really well.
Here is a pic without the main body :)
Pete
DSCN0024.jpg

Hey Pete!

I think a little brasso would work.

Dave

Hi Pete

Long time no see.

Are you giving me a chance to catch up? ;D

Vince

Hi Dave
I think ill make up the drive pin for the pump before going any further but its close now :)
Hay Vince, your looking good Buddy :bow:
Pete
DSCN0028.jpg

Latest posts

Back