Wallaby

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mate
slowly slowly, bite by bite.
After work today i started roughing out the cam.
Pete
SANY0090.jpg

Hi guys
I finished roughing out the cam today and will make up the jig for the cam turning this week, i guess.
Once Ive done the cams lobes, ill take the journals down to size and tidy it up :)

SANY0091.jpg

SANY0092.jpg

Pete,

Are the cams made the usual Westbury way, that is a little holding jig with a timing plate on the end and you cut each facet on the lathe?

If so, just be careful, it is very easy to make your cam backwards. DAMHIK. But once you get it right, following his instructions, it makes a very nice cam indeed. To blend in the flats, I just used a bit of very fine emery strip stuck onto a lolly pop stick, and turned it in the lathe. It only takes a few seconds on each lobe.

I threw away the jigs I made on my last big clearout about 3 years ago, but they are worth keeping as they could be sent around the world to help others out who are building the same engine, as they weigh very little.

Best of luck

John

Hi Bogs
Thanks for the tip, anything could happen :big:
I very much doubt anybody would want this jig John :big:
It is just a couple of holes in two end pieces, that give me the needed 0.65625 offset and a timing plate and pointer with a tapered hole.
The whole lot will go between centres in the lathe but I don't plan on spending much time on a one off jig as long as its functional.
I regret putting that last pic up a little as it looks much nicer in real life.
(The joys of close up photography i guess)
Pete

Ah no worries Mate it looks fine!

Are you going to do the Westbury way or the hunt and peck method on the mill? :)

Dave

Hi Dave
I think in the lathe with Westburys jig as i think i understand his method
never heard of the hunt and peck attack :big:
Pete

Hi Pete

Go to Model Engine News site

http://www.modelenginenews.org/

Go to Resources Site map , Alpha Index.

Sorry about that....

Click on CamCalc, and the page will open

The program will compute lifts and rotation for any given input parameters and give an output in a spreadsheet format. Usually you would use this on a milling machine with a dividing head. Nice reading anyway.

Dave

metalmad said:
I regret putting that last pic up a little as it looks much nicer in real life.
(The joys of close up photography i guess)

I wish mine looked as good.

but then the swarf ain't been removed from mine yet :big:

looking Good Pete.

Oh! and if you do a good job on the cam jig - I don't mind "hand me downs" ;D

Bez

Did one using the Camcalc program at the last show demoing the CNC machines.
Just a generic cam, not for anything but generated a lot of interest.

cam1.jpg

After a quick polish with some scotchbrite.

cam2.jpg

John S.

Hi Dave
Ive followed your link a few times now with the intention of having a look at Camcalc and every time got sidetracked by all the wonderful engine builds on that site :big:
Hi Bez
your welcome to it buddy but be aware I'm going to build it from whatever i pick up off the floor ;D
Wow John
That Cam looks great !!
And as far as CNC goes
well maybe one day :big:
Pete

I got in a couple of hours after work today, but did not get the jig finished.
It still needs clamping bolts or something.
I do not want the journals marked even if they are not to size yet so i think i will split the side and have clamping bolts, the other center anything goes as long as it does not move.
Pete
SANY0093.jpg

I'm still following along Pete. Looking like an engine to me and a fine one at that, Dave

Hi Dave :)
Thank you very much for saying that, it helps a great deal to know my engines are appreciated !!
I only need to make the timing wheel and pointer now and i can start doing the lobes of the Cam, that will be interesting :big:
Hope to get into it this week some time.
Pete

Not Wallaby related i know but some may be interested.
I picked up the whole thing for $50 AU at a yard sale on sunday.
big Kev does not know what to think :big:
Pete
SANY0094.jpg

Good score! Get 'im interested early! Thm:

Hi Steve
Yep that's the blank and i will cut it, but will it end up a Cam, dunno?? :big:
I'm using the standard ETW Cam timing for my first attempt, but if she sounds too tame, i may try something warmer later.
That's a whole new learning curve right there. :big:
As soon as i source a 2BA nut for the end of the Cam, ill give it a shot, but i may have to make one as BA seems even harder to get then UNC.
Pete
SANY0096.jpg

SANY0099.jpg

Hang in there mate, There's a couple in the post heading your way
;D

Hi Bez
Wow
where in heck in Brisbane did you get BA??
Thanks Mate :)
Pete

Latest posts

Back