Vtwin Glow motor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diy89

Reaction score
I have always enjoyed HD motorcycles and the vtwin. So i have decided to build one out of stuff i have in the shop. I'm just winging it here, no plans to work from, just a few hd loyalist friends and my friend google.
Here are a couple of shots of what i have done. Angle cutting the block. D&T the halves together, and the crank flanges.

blockcutangle.jpg

angleblockx2.jpg

boltedblock.jpg

crankflange.jpg

Little more progress here. I made a mock up of the crank figuring that i will have to take it apart several times to fit the rods and whatknot. After rummaging around i found some .5 id bearings for it. They are plenty thick, and i should get something else but....it's what i have. So i then bored the main bearing for a press fit and the crank relief.

crank.jpg

boringblock.jpg

oneside.jpg

Interesting project. Is this going to be a 4 stroke engine? With Glowplug ignition?

Chuck

Nice start Diy. Following along with interest here.

Bill

Ok, back to work here. Took some time off for a vacation getaway, nice to get out of town. Then the postman brought my birthday present, a set of igaging digital scales.
After mounting them, traming the head, and setting the vise i was able to set up and start boring the other half of the crankcase for the main bearing.

Chuck, Yes it will be a 4 stroke and glow plug ignition. Dunno why, but that's what is currently stuck in my head...
Bill, Thanks for the encouragement!

casehalf2.jpg

casehalf2bh.jpg

Well a little more to tell about, but sorry no pic today. :mad:
I set up to finish boring the main bearing, of which i measured twice. Then I bored the hole to the same size! Argh!!!! That was supposed to be a press fit, ::) ah well......i could scrap it but i think i keep going and try to think of something to save it. No point in doing another with other work a head of me that might prove to be the death of this project...
More to come....Thanks for letting me vent....

Bearing retainer compound will take care of that! Nothing to worry about. I won't tell if you don't.

Greg

It's unusual to see the X2 being used in its tilted mode. Looks like it might fall over! Hope those mounting bolts are secure. :)

My iGage DRO's have been working flawlessly, best few bucks I've ever spent. Every hole I drill and shape I make has been right on the money.

Looking good so far!

-dennis

dieselpilot said:
Bearing retainer compound will take care of that! Nothing to worry about. I won't tell if you don't.

Greg

Oooooo yeah! Bearing retainer and Loctite are our friends sometimes. DAMHIK this, I think I read it some where. (yeah right :D)

BC1
Jim

Bearing reatiner? Never heard of it ;)
Truthfully, that was the first thing i thought of, well second, JB weld was first. Before i went to bed, i did "locktite" the bearing in place. I'm hoping to play with it tonight... ;D

Trout--Did you "float" one side of your scales? I didnt. Haven't noticed any issues. It is nice to pick up and edge be able to dial in the location. Also nice not to have to worry about backlash or those funky metric screws but imperial dials....

Nope, did not float one end of my beams. No problems.

Latest posts

Back