Voltage supply for model IC engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dparker

In Rembrance 8/2021
Reaction score
Hello All: I have a question about supplying the voltage to run my IC engines. As noted on my video of the 6 cycle engine in Photos and Video section, my 6 volt lantern battery was dead and I used my battery charger (on the 6 volt scale) to run the engine. It seemed to run well but will this damage my battery charger? The amperage would spike on the charger analog readout but never did register full scale so I let it run for the video.

The engines I have made use Mopar ignition points and condenser with a 1936 IHC truck coil for ignition components.

For running the engine at home this would save the problem of buying a battery and having it go dead before I used it again. If I were to take the engine somewhere and wanted to show it I would just go ahead and buy a battery.

So, my question is, am I safe using a battery charger to supply the voltage (and amperage) to run model IC engines?

I am interested in reading any answers that may be posted. Thank You.
don

Hi Don

An idea that may be relevant.

Just float a 6V 5Ah SLA Battery across the charger. This will supply the peak current, when you go away from the shop you have a charged 6V source to run the engine.

In UK a PJ996[?] lantern battery is about £2, a 6V 5Ah SLA about £7, you don't have to use many PJ996's to be 'in profit' as it were.

I fool around with electronics, often 6V or 12V, my PSU's are used with a float battery on many occasions.

Dave

Sorry! Edit .. may mean little to some ..

SLA - Sealed Lead Acid

PSU - Power Supply Unit [ Mains to DC, usually variable ]

The engines I have made use Mopar ignition points and condenser with a 1936 IHC truck coil for ignition components

Are these coils still being made or do you have to salvage them?

Thanks,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin ..

'1936 IHC truck coil for ignition components'

Specifically those above or 6V ignition coils in general ??

If just 6V coils try a local 'old motor bike' outfit.
Got one about a year ago £14 in UK.
Not original Lucas, but Taiwanese generic.
Works fine.

Dave

I am not familiar with British car systems or even current North American systems but for at least fifty years, after 1950, all North American cars used a six volt coil on 12 volt systems. The ignition switch supplied 12 volts to the coil for starting and then switched in a voltage dropping resistor to the coil in the run position. I had a couple of British cars from the 1970s (MGB and Austin mini) that both used the voltage dropping resistor.

Kevin and Dave: Thank all of you for the replys.
The truck parts came from the restoration of a old truck, I liked the body style, Dad and I found 3 or 4 to build one good one out of.

3c602306.jpg

3c602340.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

Dad did most of the restoration and I did quite a lot of the dismantling while I was home on vacations for a few years.
I put the 6 cycle engine in the back when Dad went to his antique car club meeting so he had something to carry in the pickup.

I think I will possibly go pick up a motorcycle battery and use that and keep it charged up. That seems to be safer for the battery charger.
Thank you------don

Latest posts

Back