VITON piston rings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadora

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hallo
What do you think about using Viton piston rings in IC model engines.
Thank you guys for your opinion.
Kadora

I have used them in a hit and miss engine, Brian Rupnow has great faith in them, others have different thoughts mainly based on how hot the engine gets.

Paul.

Yes can be used there has been several discussions in the past.
Tin

from what i have read lately i think they are good for 200c temp wise and given the boiling point of water i am thinking that they should be up to the task . matter of fact i tracked some down today for my farm boy build .
i only need 1 but i bought 4 while i was there , nothing like carrying a few spares and this wont be the last or only engine i build.
however my next engine i may well go down the cast iron ring track more for the challenge than anything else , will see when the time comes , but the farm boy is getting o ring cos i already have the piston made to suit .

johno

You won't have any problems with the O ring. I've had the same normal O ring in mine since it was built in March of 2009. It runs in every show I go to, (Probably 7-10 a year), It gets started about 0830 in the morning and runs constantly till 4 or 5 in the afternoon, only stopping to oil the rod bearing two or three times and its started right back up. Its got well over 400 hours of time on it and is still going strong. I'd even gone back and changed some of my other engines to O rings. They run better and always run cooler due to less friction.

Jim

I've had a regular rubber o-ring in my Henry Ford plumbing engine for about 3 years now...when that goes I'll replace it with Viton and it may last forever!

Thank you friends for your quick answers .
One thing more . What dimensions of piston groove A ,B
/please see pic/ is needed for ID 16mmx2mm Viton O-ring ?
Dimension A is probably 2mm but i am not sure about Diameter B
Thank you

Bez názvu.jpg

Thank you Tin for the calculator. I've been looking for years to find that information. I have one engine that has one and has run for years. Needs a smooth cylinder bore and good oil.

Viton is a type of filled Teflon. Either can make wondrous sealing products. I happened to work for a well-know sealing products manufacturer, which had great laboratory and testing facilities. The longest-lived shaft seals we ever made were of Teflon.

One thing about the stuff we learned quite by accident: A Teflon lip-type rotating shaft seal will very quickly cut a groove into virtually any type of metal shaft, if the least bit of moisture is present in the medium being sealed. Water seems to be a no-no for Teflon. jack.39

Latest posts

Back