virus detection?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeeprogrammer

Reaction score
Some of you may recall my computer caught a bad cold a couple of weeks ago.
My son-in-law helped me restore the system.

As part of that, he installed a new anti-virus system...'avast!'.

Since then, I get quite a few 'threat detected' from it whenever I'm on the forum.

I haven't noticed it much other times...probably because I spend a lot of time here (or googling).

Just wondered what anyone else's experience has been with 'avast' or other anti-virus systems...in particular with the forum.

Hi Zee,

I use the full version of AVG, purely because of what you say is happening.

It only reports to me when something really nasty is about to happen and it can't fix it without my say so, otherwise I never see it, except when I want to use a new program that needs a gap putting into my firewall for it to operate thru. It just sits in the corner of my taskbar, updating itself every day, silently doing it's job.

Ever since using it, nothing has ever got thru.

But I suppose there are many protection systems just like it, but some do intrude into your life a little too much. Try Norton, that would drive you crazy.

Bogs

Carl,I run avast free version,and actually found a worm a couple of weeks ago,that had not been detected through normal start-up scan.My computer was really slow,and wouldn't burn dvd's or anything.I never used to run regular scans,but I sure as apples will now.
I don't have any problems with this site though.It's probably something in your firewall settings that causes the warnings you get.Trouble is,I know just enough to be dangerous,so I can't help you with that:(.Sorry!

I'm using the free Microsoft Security Essentials program now. I used to use AVG and it was pretty good too.

It may be the security setting in your "Avast" anti-virus.

If they are set too high you will get notifications on things simple as cookie placements.
That is not a threat, but some virus scans will point it out as a PUP.

I use Norton because it is free from Comcast to all of their subscribers.
It took me about 3 hours to trim it's settings down to an acceptable level the first
time I installed it.

Rick

Zee, I have been using Avast now for about 5 years. I have it on my daugthers, wifes, mom and dads computers and have been very happy with it...I get nothing for this site at all so I wonder if your settings are set high like Rake pointed out.

I use AVG full Internet protection version. It works behind the scenes very nicely. One nice feature is when I do a Google search it looks at the list of returned sites, scans them for threats then puts a green check mark by them if they are OK.

I use AVG too. It updates itself a few times a day, and runs a full scan automatically everyday, too.
I don't have to do anything but let it run, and it runs all the time the 'puter is on. If it thinks a website
is bad, it will tell you, but has never had a warning from this good place.

Dean

Hi Zee,

Another: 'I run avast' (free version) with no problems on this site.

Note my version is 4.8 (with an icon of a blue globe with an 'a' on it). The more recent version has an orange icon, so you may need to comapre like with like.

Look at seconia utility (I think they do a free version) - should tell you if your os & ancillary progs have the latest patches for security levels.
http://secunia.com/

Malwarebytes is pretty good, again with a free version. A scan of your hard disk with that might throw up something.

Mike

Looks of good replies. Thanks.

As a quick test, I did a 'send link' from one of the posts which goes into 'Post Reply' window. Then I copied and pasted it here. Then I got the 'threat detected' warning.

I don't think it's the forum. And, given the cleanup that was done, I don't think it's the computer.

I'm thinking, as was suggested, that it's my settings. I'll check that out.

It was interesting the various anti-virus everyone is using.

I used AVG free for quite q few years, then when they did the up date a year or so
ago ti became so bloated and slow that I switched to Avast. The latest up date of
it seem to have slowed it also. but never get any warnings. I do have Zone Alarm
as a firewall so that seem to catch the bad stuff.
...lew...

Hi I also have AVG free and I ant had any problems with it before that i had norton and i had nothing but hasel with it

i used to use avg but then i started to get bugs so i quit thats been 4 years now i use mcafee and sense using that ive had no more problems what so ever . i dont know how avg is now. i got a file from my kid and mcafee picked up a trojan from that right away and took care of it right away. so far im very happy with it. i dont mind paying as long as it works. ive tried the free stuff and it works to a point and thats it nothing past that point.

Back