Video of traction engine on coal

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compound driver 2

Reaction score
Hi
No idea if I have posted this before. Found it on photobucket whilst uploading some pictures.
If its been posted before sorry.

That was taken back in the days when i had a good supply of coal.

cheers kevin

if it was posted before, so what. It is a new to me video and was worth viewing.

Very nice Kevin.

Eric

Kevin
I had to dig pretty deep to find this post that was made earlier this past year on another board. After becoming quite rare, Welsh coal is once again available. See below:

Steve

Welsh Steam Coal is back

Long considered to be the best for steam, Welsh coal is expected to be available again in early summer. The dry steam coal is to be extracted from Ffos-y-Fran (Crow's Ditch) near Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales, and reserves of 11 million tonnes are expected to last 14 years. The coal is to be marketed by the Evans and Reid Coal Company of Cardiff, formed in 1922 - call 02920 488111.

NICE! wow how fast is that puppy running....you could put a propeller on it :D looks very good Kevin

Hi
in the video it was racing a bit to try and bring the fire up. As a rule it sits at about 30 RPM and even driving goes not much over 100 RPM. I guess in the video it was at maybe 150 RPM very fast for a single of even that size.

I Had a chat with the pit in Wales and then the dealer looks like being a good coal but its not from a deep seam so may be a bit on the slatey side. Mind you it should still be a lot better than the Russian or Polish coal thats being sold here now. My mate has an order for a few tons of it so il bag a hundred weight or so from his pile. I now have four traction engines that want coal so I hope the pit works for a good few years.
It drives me wild thinking how much coal lays in flooded pits in this country. My uncle spent his working life down the pits in Kent he passed away before Thatcher killed the mining industry, thankfully he didnt get to see the strikes or the demise of another of our great industrys.

Il see if I can dis out a few vids of the big Fowler running.

Cheers kevin

Hi Steve

Odd the way things work out. I now have a bag of the welsh coal, well 1/4 ton to be accurate. Gave my mate a prod with good results.

Looks like it will burn ok and has the feel of good steam coal. Il break some up tonight and post findings.

Thanks for that

Cheers kevin

Kevin ,thats looks fantastic!, I'd love to make one , my great grandfather made full sized ones and stationary engines etc. he was Mr.Brown of Brown and May of Devises, there are still 2 working traction engines of theirs still somewhere in the UK, maybe you've seen them, I found pics somewhere on the net, I don't remember where, He also made a steam carriage in about 1898 I think ,I have pics ,if your interested I'll post them, my mum still has the old working drawings (I hope!),next time I go to the UK I'll scan them and post them too.......Giles

P.s. I hear that most of the coal in England is from China now (like just about everything else!) that really would be sacrilege !!!

Latest posts

Back