VFD stop switch

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbiev

Reaction score
I have this VFD for my mill

Just wondering if anyone has a similar one and knows how to connect an external stop switch.

The problem I have is that the Vfd is mounted on the back wall of the shed. I wanted to have control at the machine itself. I got a reply from a learned colleague Kerry (KLG) recently whom happens to live only 25 minutes from me. Next step was to buy a Jiffy box and some switches to mount in it

Next step to run some multi core coax between machine and VFD

The rest of the wiring will be done today. Hopefully will have Stop Fwd Rev Speed etc mounted on the mill.

Any help greatly appreciated

Hard wiring all complete.

Looks neat enough but
Nothing happens so it looks like some sort of programming is required.
Any help much appreciated

My VFD (Toshiba VF-nC3) has a menu for setting internal or external command mode (0 = terminal, 1 = panel keyboard, 2 = RS485).

Default setting is 1, I had to set it to 0 to use external switches and potentiometers.

I have the manual ( 160 pages) that enabled me to wire up the external switches. But as Prof165 suggests, I must be missing a command somewhere to switch from internal to external control.

Take a look or ask the question on Cnczone.com. It is a lot of knowlegde on stuff like that There. I reasently hot help with setup on a chineese vfd.:D
Regards Morten

Last edited:
Hi Herbie

I have Emerson VFD's on my mill and Lathe and there is definitely a setup parameter to change from PAD ( keypad) to other input choices. At least on my drives. I will copy a page out of my manual to see if it is of any help. On my drives it is "Parameter 5 " And it defaults to "PAD" in my case I had to change it to AV Pr . In the attached screenshot it explains which options are available and shows the wiring schematic for "AI AV " Your manual should show something similar.

I hope this helps in some way.

Or if you could find a PDF. online of your manual maybe we could take a look at it and try to sort it out.

Scott

parameter 5.jpg

Thanks Morten and Scott. I shall give CNCzone a go but here is the pdf of my unit. I'm sure the wiring to the remote box is correct. I think I'm missing something simple like flicking a switch :wall:

HI Herbie

I think what you need is on page 73.

You need to set function code b0-02 to option 1. I am assuming it is currently set to 0

I did not read how to do that.

Scott

Capture.jpg

Many thanks gentlemen. I shall give it a go.

Heading in the right direction. Got it to run when DI 1 switch is pressed but unable to control speed from main or remote. Getting variable voltage at AI 1
Have programmed b0-03 -2 which seems to be associated with AI1 :confused:

Trying to register on CNCzone but keep getting sent to a game app or get a blank screen. Is there some sort of trick to getting thru?

Well I got one of the buttons wired up and programmed for emergency stop

Using B3-04-44.
Still can't get the remote speed working so I've changed back to using the main unit to switch on and speed control and the remote to switch off :)

Hi Herbie
I think you will need to set
B3-00-
B3-01-
B3-02-
B3-03-
as well to fully define the input parameters.
Scott

Thanks Scott. That makes sense. I shall try that Sunday

Well I somehow managed to get remote speed control working as well as the red stop button. Programmed B3-00 to 03 but pushing the remaining buttons does nothing. To start I use the main unit after pressing the reset button to get rid of the message. Life is much simpler not having to change belts on pulleys every time I change cutting tools

Latest posts

Back