V twin rotation

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I am presently building the Howell V-Twin and in the put it together and find the problems stage. The plans show the flywheel turning counter clock wise. This is contrary to my inclination and means that if I turn it over with my cordless drill I have to run the drill in reverse which tends to loosen the chuck. I cannot see why the engine could not run the opposite direction as long as the valve and ignition timing was set accordingly. Am I missing something?

Gordon

Yes you can make the engine run in the opposite direction but you would have to redesign the cams for that direction of rotation. I suspect Jerry did it that way, as I did mine, with the thought that the flywheel would turn in the direction that would coincide with the direction of the rear wheel. I use a portable drill to start all my engines and they turn counterclockwise at the flywheel. My chuck has never come loose.
gbritnell

Cam design should not be a problem since the cams are symmetrical and should give the same action in either direction. I have always had a problem with the chuck loosing up in that direction Perhaps it is the keyless chuck but I have the same problem when I use the drill to remove screws. Rotation is not a game changer but it would be more convenient to run the other direction.

In my hand held drills there is a left hand threaded screw in the bottom of the chuck that prevents the chuck from coming loose when used in reverse. You might want to check and see if yours is missing the screw.

Ron

All electric drills that have a reversing switch that I have ever seen have a locking screw in the chuck to prevent it from loosening. If you open the chuck jaws and look in the bottom of the chuck between the jaws it is normally a cross point screw. It must be removed to loosen or remove the chuck. If you ever want to remove the chuck you need to know that this screw has a LEFT HAND thread.
Gail in NM

Edit: Yes, some keyless chucks will lose their grip when run in reverse.

If your drill motor is a quality one that you like, you might consider upgrading the chuck. I have a Makita 3/8 cordless one that I use in reverse mode a lot. The original chuck was wearing out and would slip in forward mode unless I really worked at tightening it and would loosen, like yours, in reverse mode.

I replaced the chuck with a Jacobs 30354 and it became a pleasure to use. Much better than the Makita one was even when it was new. When tightening it has a click ratchet sound when tight and does not loosen in reverse. Still, it is easy to open when desired. l I paid about US$18 for it.
Gail in NM

JacobsChuck30354.jpg

If your drill motor is a quality one that you like, you might consider upgrading the chuck. I have a Makita 3/8 cordless one that I use in reverse mode a lot. The original chuck was wearing out and would slip in forward mode unless I really worked at tightening it and would loosen, like yours, in reverse mode.

I replaced the chuck with a Jacobs 30354 and it became a pleasure to use. Much better than the Makita one was even when it was new. When tightening it has a click ratchet sound when tight and does not loosen in reverse. Still, it is easy to open when desired. l I paid about US$18 for it.
Gail in NM

Yep, that 'click' thing makes the keyless chuck a winner!! Some day I'll
have a bad one to take apart and see how that works.

My old 9.8 Makitas didn't give much trouble until they were really worn,
then they just would not hold tightness.

My new 12V Milwaukees have the metal 'click' chucks and I've never had
them come loose on a bit.

Pete

Thanks. I will have to look at that chuck. The drill is a DeWalt so probably worth a new chuck.

My 1/2" regular/hammer CW/CCW Makita has the worst keyless chuck ever. It slips in forward also, even after a gorilla tightening.
Nice Drill worst chuck and it has the ratcheting clicks.

if you reverse the rotation, i believe the oil pump will pump in the wrong direction.

jim niessink

Jim:
You are right. That is what I was missing.

I did order a new chuck for my DeWalt. Mine has a 1/2-20 thread non 3/8-24. Fortunately I checked before ordering and did not just go with the fact the the write up said DeWalt and similar.

Latest posts

Back