V Pulley to Flat Pulley Drives

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
All the old common US small lathes used this system which made it possible to change pulleys without adjusting the motor. I have made three, two step V pulleys, last week and cannot get the sizes right so that the belt is the same length on each pair. Logan uses a ratio of 2.1 to 1 to get their speeds evenly spaced but that is not a requirement for me with a DC drive.

The first pulley I made the same as I would a V to V drive and that was a mile out. For the second one I used all the formulas I could find in Machinery Handbook which appear to work out mathematically but the larger pulley is too small. I came to the conclusion that the formula did not allow for the fact that larger V pulleys have bigger included angle and wider at the top which allows the belt to ride lower.

For the third pulley. I made both pulleys with the same angle and top width and made the big pulley .100 bigger than calculated but it it is still a bit too small.

Does anyone have the answer? Here are the numbers I am working with:
2.5" V pulley to 9.5" flat pulley
?? (approx 5.25") V pulley to 7.625" flat pulley
A new Gates B size belt.

The pertinent information I got from the Handbook is that you work with effective diameters which is the OD of a V pulley, and the OD of a flat pulley minus twice the belt thickness.

Latest posts

Back