V-Block Fixture

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Every once in a (rare) while, I have to stand a round part on end in my mill and do "something" to the end of it.---And up untill today, I didn't have any real good way of holding onto a round part standing on end. I am still waiting for some "real work" to come into my engineering office, so today I decided to make a V-block that would fit into my Tilt-A-Whirl vice. I hate to admit it, but it took me the entire day to make this, and fortunately I had a peice of 2" thick scrap aluminum plate around. I designed the 3 V's to accomodate any diameter rod from 1/8" up to 1 1/4" diameter. I stuck a peice of 5/16" round brass in the fixture, just for "show and tell". The fixture is a "good fit" over the fixed jaw in my vice, and can be lifted off without having to tighten or loosen the bolts holding the rear clamp bars in place.
v-blockfixture001.jpg

v-blockfixture002.jpg

This is an amazing act of Deja Vu.... was laying in bed this morning thinking that I had better make a start on my new screwless vice. I intend to cast the base etc etc etc..... my main thought this morning was that I will make the jaws both replaceable and sacrificial if need be but one set will have a set of V's in it to hold round stock on end..... then Brian posts........ spooky...... I think I may have to go back to bed to recover.......

Personally Brian I see this as an act of Genius.... (naturally).....

I stood the part in my vice at 45 degrees and milled the notches with a 1" diameter end mill. I laid out lines on the piece of aluminum and milled to the lines.
VICEJAW.jpg

This is a good work holding block. I've used a couple like it for years now, and it saves a lot of fiddling around. When I made mine, I put only one "V" groove in each one, on center to keep the moveable jaw of the vise from trying to cock sideways.

Dean

Deanofid said:
to keep the moveable jaw of the vise from trying to cock sideways.

Dean

To solve this, you can drill and tap a hole on each side of the fixture, insert a little adjuster screw on the opposite side of the work to hold the jaw.

Looks good as always, I made one that just sits in the vise, (no notched back)
-B-

p.s. what happened to the chip guard at the back of the mill

Latest posts

Back