using hss planer blades?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldte

Reaction score
During a recent clear out i came across a quantity of hss planer blades is there anything i can use them for ? I wondered maybe as parting tools but would appreciate any suggestions regarding usage.
regards
coldte

What size are they? To make parting tools you might have to do a bit of gringing to get a bit of taper on them (narrower at the bottom for clearence) Play with the heat treat and they would make knife blades. Also usable to braze to a piece if mild steel to make a special chisel for the wood lathe.

The blades I use in my planer are approx 1/8 x 3/4 x 12.5 and they want $30 a set of 2. They might be worth a little bit to a woodworker.

Balancing a drive shaft or crank is often done on "knife edge" supports.

;D

Coldte, I use it as a parting tool - it works just fine most of the time - Aluminium & brass parting is a breeze; other metals are a bit more bothersome, but with cutting fluid gets the job done.

I just ground off the original cutting (shaving) edge as straight as possible on a bench grinder, and profiled the tip for clearance - here is how I built a toolpost and use it :)

I would differ a bit with kf2qd about heat treating it and using it for something else; heat treating HSS is normally a bit out of reach of the home shop machinist - at least for me.

Regards, Arnold

arnoldb said:
Coldte, I use it as a parting tool - it works just fine most of the time - Aluminium & brass parting is a breeze; other metals are a bit more bothersome, but with cutting fluid gets the job done.

I just ground off the original cutting (shaving) edge as straight as possible on a bench grinder, and profiled the tip for clearance - here is how I built a toolpost and use it :)

I would differ a bit with kf2qd about heat treating it and using it for something else; heat treating HSS is normally a bit out of reach of the home shop machinist - at least for me.

Regards, Arnold
Thank you for your suggestion, this is what i would like to use them for but was worried about side clearances, Found some more in a cupboard that makes 4*24 inch and 3 of 6 inch*1*1/8 so plenty to go at. I made a rear toolpost about a year ago , what a difference it made parting is easy now.
regards coldte
regards coldte

Latest posts

Back