Understanding the steam engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mike.S

I'm guessing people come across the site trying to under stand how the engine works, i know i did.
this site really helped me:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/steam1.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------

i actually have a question also tho.
its about the slide letting steam in 1 side and out the other.
my friend sent me this image:
6pi3sex.gif

and i was wondering, it shows it on a round circle on the main shaft
does this have to be like this for the engine to work?
if so why?
I'm thinking it makes it irregular so it opens and shuts it or what ever... if anyone can understand me and help thanks:)

Hi Mike,

I am thinking you are asking about the eccentric cam. See if this helps.

Kenny

Mike: The valve is a "D" slide valve and the center is the exhaust, the steam chest is all around the sliding block that opens alternate ends of the cylinder to the steam supply while opening the other end of the cylinder to the exhaust . The steam actually does use the same passages from the steam chest to the cylinder for supply and exhaust. The eccentric on the shaft is the cause of the movement for the slide valve and is a fairly easy way to generate linear motion from the shaft to the valve without needing to make a crank.
Don

I am sure this site has been posted before but it may just help with your understanding and is certainly worth a repeat

http://www.keveney.com/Engines.html

Full sized steam engines, and many models, have a period when the steam enters the cylinder then a closed period whilst the steam is allowed to expand and do work and then an exhaust period.

Thanks to all for the informative sites for understanding how the various steam engines work. I'm contemplating my next build, a beam engine, and it's really neat to see Keveney's animations. Now if my completed project runs as smoothly as the animation I'll be a happy camper ;D

Cheers,
Phil

Latest posts

Back