Two vises are better than one

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
Eric asked about any other tools I may have designed. That remark, coupled with the recent thread on soldering jigs, led me to resurrect the following post which first appeared on the HSM BBS...

I built this device some time ago to help me butt-solder two pieces together.

TWIN1.jpg

The two little vises are as identical as I could make them. The bodies and jaws were machined as single pieces and then cut apart to make the two units. The vises slide along a 3/8" square rod and can be locked in any position. The cylindrical post fits my Panavise base. It's removable so the square rod can be clamped in the workbench vise.

As shown, this little jig has been a remarkably useful tool. Soldering, gluing and sawing are only a few of the things it's been used for. But it really came into its own when I added a second chunk of square rod perpendicular to the original

TWIN2.jpg

using a half-lap joint to ensure that the two vises remained aligned. Accurate orthogonal solder joints are a pleasure now.

I made the vises from aluminum which, in retrospect, was not the best choice for soldering since it wicks the heat away from the joint. Steel would have been a better choice but my concern was to not mar the part surfaces.

I've considered adding a third rod perpendicular to the existing two to allow for three dimensional assemblies but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

Nice Dodad. I really like the Stereo knobs:O) I'm going to try and get a picture of a "Helping Hands" that a friend built. It works great.

Wes

Latest posts

Back