Two speed three phase motor wiring

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazzaleach

Reaction score
Hi guys im not sure if this is the place to ask such a question but im stuck,
Ok i brought a new mill the other day its a Aciera F3 with lots of attachments and full set of collets both metric and imperial, This sounds great but i cant power it using my rotary converter because i need to be able to connect the neutral from the machine to my ring main but this is not possible because i have rcds and they sense theres not enought current coming back down the neutral and trip out? So i had my local sparky come out and asked if they could run a new feed from the meter along with a new board he agreed but was going to cost me £1700 ouch.....

So this morning i pulled the cover off the motor its a two speed motor with six connections U,V,W,Z,X,Y. so high speed you connect U,V,W to the three phases and bridge Z,X,Y and for low speed you just connect Z,X,Y to the three phases.
Now would it be ok to bypass the front control panel which has loads going on with transformers for the 24v light and the 60v supply for high speed head (which i dont have) and connect the motor to a direct online starter with a thermal overload relay and just turn the motor on that way???? hope this all makes sense if i do it my way it costs me £50.

Any help would be great cheers gary

I cant see why you couldn't DOL the motor. If you wanted you a 2 speed it would need a star delta set up .

Back