Two South Bend 13" Questions...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAndrew

Reaction score
Hello all,

I picked up a South Bend 13 lathe a few months ago locally. I've been looking for one for quite a while now. I'd like to think that this is the last lathe I'll ever need to buy (though my wife doesn't believe that). Here's a couple picture on the trailer and of a creative method of getting it off a trailer:http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/...e Uploads/IMG_20140830_122458_zpsuqujhan5.jpg

The first question is regarding the "star" nut that engages threading and feeds. When I used this type of lathe in the Navy it had an engage lever that was more of a quick acting cam operated type. How does one quickly disengage a star nut when threading or turning? Or is the convention just to stop the whole machine with the Fwd/Reverse switch...?

Secondly, I had hoped to not rebuild this lathe like my atlas and just run it as is. The sand of some Californian desert had other plans though. The whole thing was gunked up with sand so I've got it all torn apart. The discrepancy I found is with the headstock oiler tube pictured here:
http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/...e Uploads/2014-12-23 21.06.15_zpsj3urguti.jpg

I read in a rebuild forum that that little brass oiler tube is supposed to be sticking up about 0.1" into a hole in the bearing shell. Mine are not :(. They are down flush with the hole in the casting. I tried pulling them up with a hook bent welding rod but they won't seem to budge. The question I suppose is: Should I even bother with them? Attempt to drill them out and make new ones? If so what do new ones even look like?

Thanks in advance for your insights and advice.
-J.Andrew

Sorry seem to have bungled the photos a bit.
-J.Andrew

I have a SB 14 1/2". The star knob is not used for threading, feed only. Half nuts are used for threading. Star knob is awkward to use but I never got around to modifying it, used to it now.

Mcostello,

Oops you're correct. Feeding not threading. Thanks.

-J.Andrew

I'd really like to get this lathe back running soon so I suppose I'll just run it as is. Wouldn't be too big of a deal to pull the spindle again later if ever needed. :/

-J.Andrew

Latest posts

Back