South Bend lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just relaxing today so I have a new question. I have a 13" South Bend lathe which I have had for about 12 years and have used a lot. I have done some maintenance and repair as needed but I have never really tried any major rebuild. I was not aware until recently that the lube for parts of the lathe was through wicks. There are rebuild kits and instructions available on eBay for about $100. That seems to be kind of high for some wicks and a rebuild manual There are some YouTube videos of rebuild projects so I guess that could possibly take the place of the manual. Has anyone replaced the wicks and or done any other rebuild on a South Bend and is the kit worth purchasing?

Gordon

The South bend lathe is easy to rebuild
Just build one section at time (headstock, quake gear box, carriage and motor drive
It makes simple to do
I never had book and today books do not cover everything for rebuilding.
Good news is most bearing are plane type and simple to replace from bar stock.

Dave

Just relaxing today so I have a new question. I have a 13" South Bend lathe which I have had for about 12 years and have used a lot. I have done some maintenance and repair as needed but I have never really tried any major rebuild. I was not aware until recently that the lube for parts of the lathe was through wicks. There are rebuild kits and instructions available on eBay for about $100. That seems to be kind of high for some wicks and a rebuild manual There are some YouTube videos of rebuild projects so I guess that could possibly take the place of the manual. Has anyone replaced the wicks and or done any other rebuild on a South Bend and is the kit worth purchasing?

Gordon

What about the wicks? How much of a job is it to replace them and can they be replaced by felt bought from some place like McMaster Carr? Do they have to be replaced or can the existing wicks just be soaked in solvent and reinstalled?

What about the wicks? How much of a job is it to replace them and can they be replaced by felt bought from some place like McMaster Carr? Do they have to be replaced or can the existing wicks just be soaked in solvent and reinstalled?
The worst one is headstock bearing and that finding the replacement the rest is easy.

Dave

I rebuilt my 10" using one of the kits and was pleased with the result. I think the most likely screw up if you just start taking stuff apart is the bearings in the headstock which can be ruined if disassembled incorrectly and are very expensive if you can even find them. On my lathe, the wicks were beyond renewal so it was good to have new material. I felt that the kit and manual that I got was worth the money although I'm sure you could save some pocket change if your time is worth nothing. I have an old 9" that I've had for 60 years or so. Probably time to go through that one again. It's been about 30 years since I cleaned it up the last time. Good luck with yours.

Thanks. I am seriously thinking about getting the kit and going through mine. I have never really tried to go through it and I have not been using the correct oils. They are offering a complete kit with wicks, manuals and lube for $149. Probably worth it. I am sure that I can scrounge around and get the parts and the lube and save a few dollars. On the other hand I would probably have to purchase the lube in gallon containers and have a three lifetime supply.

Go to the South Bend forum site lots of information there on oil wicks and rebuilding. South Bend Lathes

Last edited:
There is group just South Bend 9
https://groups.io/g/SouthBendLathe9Most parts for 9A is same as 10K.
Grizzly has new parts on the South Bend site.
I think worst part replace is half nut I seen everything on sun for replacement most have something to do with epoxy.
The best replace with factory new , next is bronze insert screw in place.

Dave

I rebuilt my 10" using one of the kits and was pleased with the result. I think the most likely screw up if you just start taking stuff apart is the bearings in the headstock which can be ruined if disassembled incorrectly and are very expensive if you can even find them. On my lathe, the wicks were beyond renewal so it was good to have new material. I felt that the kit and manual that I got was worth the money although I'm sure you could save some pocket change if your time is worth nothing. I have an old 9" that I've had for 60 years or so. Probably time to go through that one again. It's been about 30 years since I cleaned it up the last time. Good luck with yours.

In my opinion the rebuild kit of wicks and other parts plus the rebuild book being sold on eBay is well worth the cost. The book covers renovation from our current "hobby owner" perspective and offers good practical methods for doing the renovation. I have had my lathe for about 20 years and while it was nearly new when I got it I have renovated the wicks and other parts once in the interim using the book and parts. As others have said here in this thread the process is straightforward if you take once section at a time. You may not need some of the auxiliary parts which is why the ebay seller offers them separately.

I have found using the needle bearing takeup thrust washers and needle bearing head end bearings to be useful...others will have their opinions.

Key thing is to keep your lathe in top condition...use the right wick material, use the right lubrication for each area, and keep way oil on the ways always!

I have pretty much decided to purchase the kit. I am still investigating which oils I should use. In the past I have not really paid much attention to what oil goes where but just used whatever oil was in the oiler cans. There seems to be some difference of opinion on what oils are acceptable. We are not using these machines to their max capacity 8 hours per day. I just watched a youtube video by Tubalcain and he pretty much uses 10w=A, 20w=B, 30w=C plus way oil. More research will be done.

AFA the oils go, lubricants have changed a lot in the 100 years or so since these machines were designed. I try to use the "correct" lube for each area, but I think it's more important to have something oily everywhere all the time and the exact type is less important. It's a total loss oiling system so if it's not dripping it needs oil.

I have a Hercus 260 which is a metric Southbend 9 clone built under licence in Australia. I replaced the wicks in my saddle. It was straightforward if you take care. The saddle is actually quite a complicated piece of gear. Use the manual- don't try and wing it. I know yours is a 13 which is bigger than mine, but the saddle looks like a larger version of the 9's.

I looked at making my own wicks, but it was difficult to source the correct grade of felt in the thicknesses required. The kit is expensive for what you get, but it will save you a lot of hassle.

I use ISO 46 hydraulic oil everywhere on my lathe. Lots of it.

The later Hercus is a improve headstock.

FYI:The cast iron bearing in quike change gear box and carriage can use way lub as will say in place longer.

Dave

I have a Hercus 260 which is a metric Southbend 9 clone built under licence in Australia. I replaced the wicks in my saddle. It was straightforward if you take care. The saddle is actually quite a complicated piece of gear. Use the manual- don't try and wing it. I know yours is a 13 which is bigger than mine, but the saddle looks like a larger version of the 9's.

I looked at making my own wicks, but it was difficult to source the correct grade of felt in the thicknesses required. The kit is expensive for what you get, but it will save you a lot of hassle.

I use ISO 46 hydraulic oil everywhere on my lathe. Lots of it.

Gordon
Hi Gordon, I have done a Hercus SB9 clone and am about to start the rebuild of my Dad's '47 SB9A. I can definitely say the felt kit and rebuild book for the SB9" from Ilion is worth every cent. Not sure if the felt kit is the same for the 13"SB.

Latest posts

Back