Twin launch engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imation

Reaction score
Hi All
Back in the workshop after completing the McOnie and after much musing decided on this launch engine , fabricating everything.
I found some nice rendered drawings on line and there is enough detail to work from.
Started with a lump of bronze and slowly whittled away the bits I didn't want. The valve chests are just silver soldered from
brass sections. the base is taking shape from brass plate.
The four drain cocks took the longest to make as they are fairly fiddly.
I will endeavour to update as soon as possible.
Regards Mike.

003copy.jpg

030copy.jpg

032copy.jpg

033copy.jpg

Hi Mike,

That is some serious progress!!
Looks like it is going to be another great build to follow!!!

How do you come up with all the dimensions?
You must have drawn it out or something first?

Those 4 drain cocks turned out really well!
Fully functional i presume?

Andrew

Hi Andrew
The beauty of retirement is spending as much time as I like in the workshop doing something I love.
At the rate I am going it should be finished in about eight weeks.
The drain valves are functional, they were purchased as a casting kit from Executive Model Design in the US.
The rendered drawings were such that once the bore and stroke were decided on, most other dimensions
just fall into place. I do a pencil drawing of the part to be made, double check and start chipping away.
I always plan ahead so that material for the next step is on hand.
Hope you enjoy the build.
Cheers Mike.

Hi Mike,

That looks Awesome! :bow: :bow: I love the drain cocks they're the right size! On full size ones, the bottom cock is a "cross" pattern and takes the condensate from the top cock and it passes through to drain in the bilge. I've made these in small scale by modifying a right angle valve with another run silver soldered on. Works great on my steamboat, and is in keeping with 12"/ft stuff.

Here's a picture

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u27/mcandrew1894/Img19.jpg

Dave

Mike that is awesome, I love the launch engine, right now I am working on Ruby kouhoupt's marine engine. I look forward to following this built. Keep the photos comings and please give us some details as you progress. This will be a learning coarse for me.
Following alone with interest.

Regards Don

Back