Twin D/A Oscillator.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvbydt

Reaction score
I had better get my first build log on this forum down on paper or it will end up in finished projects! The inspiration was this advert on the Internet :-

http://www.prestonservices.co.uk/stationary.htm

A great looking engine but not one I copy.

With a 12 ins flywheel, it was too big to do full size and I have no casting facilities. Searching on the Internet, Elmer did both horizontal and a vertical oscillators, but of course, I had to do one my way! Looking at what I had for materials, the flywheel had to be made from a 2.5 ins diameter blank and the body from 2 x ½ ins stock. (In the UK some bar stock is still sold in Imperial sizes.) The throw on the crank was to be 10 mm, so with a stroke of 20 mm, 16 mm seemed about right for the bore.

Using these sizes, I sketched out the rough design :-

TOjpg.jpg

This is just a first draught and I am constantly changing it as I make this build.

Ian

Started on the cylinders using round stock and made a plug gauge to 16.00/16.05 mm.
Faced to length and bored out to plug gauge size.

CylinderBlanks.jpg

Roughed milled the blanks and finished with a flycutter.

Flycutting.jpg

Started on the pivots.

Roughing.jpg

Note the centre drill.

Ian

With a tool mounted in my boring head, I then turned the pivot oversize.

Pivot.jpg

Then it could be mounted in the collet chuck on my lathe.

TurningPivot.jpg

Finished the turning.

Cylinders.jpg

Beginning to look interesting!

Ian

Thats a neat way of producing a cylinder for holding in the chuck - never thought of doing that before.

The only thing wrong with watching a thread from the beginning is that it takes sooo long. More please :D

Thats an interesting design Ian, and I like your use of the boring head.

Keep them comming

Stew

Thanks for taking an interest. See photo further down where I use the mill to turn the crank pin.

Tapped.jpg

Cutting the "O" ring groove in the end plate whilst it was still in bar form.

Oringgroove.jpg

End plates were then milled square but the edge with the port in, was left 0.25 mm proud.
Then they were drilled.

EndCapDrilling-1.jpg

Ian

The cranks were roughed out in a 4 jaw on the lathe.

CrankBlank.jpg

Then the centre was drilled and reamed on the same set-up as the crank pins were turned with the boring head, so as to get them in line.

CrankPin.jpg

Mounted in a brass jig and milled.

MillingCrank.jpg

Ian

More build photos.

CrankPinJournal.jpg

The Body Plates have been machined to size and clamped together, they are drilled and reamed.

BodyPlates.jpg

More milling and then the Air passages are drilled.

AirPassages.jpg

Ian

The piston rods are stainless steel so they were screwcut M5 then cleaned up with an M5 Die.

ScrewcuttingM5.jpg

The inlet/exhaust manifold has to be bolted onto the main plates so two "O" ring recesses were cut with a 6mm slot drill. No side load on the drill chuck, so this is OK.

ORingMilling.jpg

This is the piston, rod and end plate assembly.

PistonAssembly.jpg

Ian

Now I have reached the assembly stage (on a temporary base).

FirstAssembly.jpg

Does it run? Yes it does but leaks air due to my drilling error, easy to fix. Does it rev? Yes but it is a bit unbalanced and vibrates on the table. Since the cranks are at 90 degrees, to enable self starting and four pulses per rev, it was to be expected. I am going to remove some weight from the crank pin area anyway. The "O" rings on the piston cause some stiction, so, instead of 20% ring squeeze, by deepening the groove, I have reduced this to 10%.

Started on a proper base.

FlywheelClearance.jpg

And cleaned off machining marks.

AlltheBits.jpg

Next photo is just a tease.

Ian

Ian,
Very nice and very quick, I'm still thinking about the drawing.

A very nice model.

Dave

Dave, not really that quick. I had it built to the first assembly stage before I asked the Moderator if it might be of interest. The confidence shown by the experts on here who can start a log with the first bit of swarf, is really impressive.

This is the completed engine.

View3.jpg

And as promised, the video.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AlaB3aKpenc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Slow speed is about 250 rpm and fast 2,300 rpm.

There are still a few minor things to do. Crankshaft bearings will be replaced with ball races,
the taper pins finally fitted and a perspex cover to keep the dust out.

The next build will be a V8 air motor. (But I may be some time).

Ian

Fitting two ballraces has made the motor run very smoothly. A bit of work on the port faces eliminated most of the air leaks so it will now run at about 100 rpm at 10 psi. Working with Perspex is not my favorite job and it took some time to get this dust cover finished, but there it is on display, at last :)

Ian

Display.jpg

Latest posts

Back