Trying Brians radial

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krown Kustoms

Reaction score
My "Tiny Four Stroke" build is on hold due to a design flaw, so I figured I would give Brian's radial a shot.
The plans are very well layed out (thanks Brian) and the build doesn't look too difficult.
Here is my start, I don't think I will take a bunch of pics because Brian documented his build so well.
I will definitely post the ones I do take.
As always my shop time is limited and this might take a little while to complete.
-B-

DSC02162.JPG

DSC02163.JPG

By the way, dont rag on me too bad.
My hold downs are size 90 and 100 chain link, and the layout dye is Sharpie marker.
-B-

K-K
Gotta admit those hold downs are a bit worrisome. Elevate the bolted ends a bit and drill some holes in the middle for the tie down bolts. Make it so the work ends are clamping downward instead of pointing skyward. Much better holding power and you get to keep all your fingers.

Steve

Sharpie is what I use for most of my layout. Works just fine for that purpose.
For checking fits, regular bluing gives a better transfer, but it's stinky and spill-able.

KrownKustoms--Wonderfull!!! I just love it when somebody builds one of my designs. I am not going to comment on your hold downs. Others will do a fine job of that. The first time your "part" goes flying across the room at hypersonic speeds and ricochets off surrounding equipment, you will get the message. ;D ;D ;D---Brian

Let me know how much fun you had drilling those long 1/16" holes that reach from the end of the spokes down to the center air annulus. I started them all in the drillpress, and drilled down to the full length of drill I had available to me, which was about 1 3/8", then took the part out of the vice and put it in my bench vice and drilled the holes the rest of the way with my hand held electric drill.---Brian

Thanks everyone for looking out, I completely emptied and rearranged my shop recently and cant find anything yet.
I packed everything in in boxes and set them in the driveway.
Hold downs are one of them.
I didnt intend to mill with them just drill the holes.
They are the hold downs I use regularly in my drill press.
The holes are reamed with end mills because I cant find my reamers either.
I guess I should have A- labeled the boxes or B- finished the shop before the build.
Anyway, Thanks Brian for the tip, I was deciding a way to drill the 1/16 holes, that sounds like a good way to finish the holes.
-B-

Well, first part and first offering to the scrap bin.
I cut the annulus on the wrong side, going to start again tomorrow.
I think I will use cnc for the second one.
-B-

I thought I was the only person to do things like that. I'm watching your build with great interest. There are about 5 other people around the world that are currently building my radial. I've already been informed that I screwed up a note on sheet 3 of the new drawing of the star shaped mainframe . I said that the 0.062" diameter holes that run thru to the center annulus (Yeah, the one you put on the wrong side) could also be bumped up to 0.74" diameter----Damn---misplaced decimal---should have said .074".----Brian

That darn decimal system! Gets you every time, Brian. Almost as bad as the metric system, or any other system I cam blame when I goof!

Dean

I didnt catch that one, I have layed out the new one but no cutting yet.
I have been working on a SR-71 Blakbird ducted fan rc jet and found plans for the F-117A Stealth bomber, I built a small one to see the dificulty and it took all of my machine time.
Time for a scale one, it was easy to lay out and build.
Now back to the radial.
-B-

DSC02167.JPG

Latest posts

Back