Trust me...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

websterz

Reaction score
there is NOT enough room to reach in between the stone and chuck while the surface grinder is running. I don't care how high you raise the spindle, turn the damn thing off. This is gonna' hurt like Hades tomorrow!! Luckily I just lost a patch of hide.

ouch.jpg

I've been there, quite recently in fact, but in a different way. A few weeks ago I was using a handheld "dotco" (airpowered 1-3" disc sander, 90psi shop air), mounting a maroon scotchbrite pad, trying to smooth out a shim for installation on an airplane at work, and the abrasive pad caught the material, and shunted the thing right into the finger holding the piece. I can't say I'd ever seen skin melt before, but it's finally almost healed, some 3.5 weeks later.

It hurts, but it's a good reminder to stop and think twice. COULD something go wrong? If yes, then err on the side of caution and turn it off =)

Glad to see you weren't hurt more seriously.

- Ryan

Your are very lucky websterz. I use to work with a fellow who lost a finger in just that way...happy to here you fared better, but still good advice.

Bill

I had raised the head about 10 inches above the chuck so getting dragged in under the wheel wasn't a concern. I have done it a hundred times before. Today was the last time though!

Amazing how we never make it the last time -

The Day Before it Hurts ::)

I hope the pain is brief and mild for you.

Bez

DoooH! That's gonna leave a mark! ;D
I didn't take the picture of the neat slice down my left index finger...but it looked about the same.

Hope you feel better soon Web! :)

Dave

I'm that clumsy I wear pigskin riggers gloves to keep abrasions cuts and splinters to a minimum :-\

Herbiev said:
I'm that clumsy I wear pigskin riggers gloves to keep abrasions cuts and splinters to a minimum :-\

just be VERY careful they don't get caught in any moving parts... I've seen a guy come quite close to serious injury because he swore up and down that his leather gloves couldn't get caught in the 6000rpm drill...until they did.

Gloves are a no-no around machinery. Better to lose a bit of skin than an arm!

The Caveman inside me tells me a stone can't cut me - but it does and every time I'm as surprised as the first time it happened.

Why is it that there are some lessons I can't learn.

The other one is pulling on swarf - I keep promising myself that I won't do that again.

Websterz - I'm glad that all you got was a "reminder".

Ken

Back