Total newcomer to the scene from Oz

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sen

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just a bit of an intro. I have wanted to learn some basic machine skills for many years but never in a position to do so. I do not work in a relaetd trade. Anyway cirscumstances are now right and I joined this site. I am the proud caretaker of a 1926 Lister Juniour engine. I hope to learn enough to be able to make some parts in due course and do some basic repairs to add on machinery. I plan to collect several more engines (full size). However what I really want to do is get into building model engines and as the years/skills progress build some nice replica's. Am especially interested in IC engines including model areoplane engines and early hit and miss models.

I currently have no equipment other than hand tools so looking to tool up. Was going to be doins so now however I snapped the achilles tendon in my right leg on Firday and I am no crippled for the time being and in pain so everything is on hold. While I recover I will be reading a lot here and possibly asking questions to steer me towards the "right" initial purchase of a small lathe and mill. I'll need guidance from experienced members to get me set up right.

Thanks for reading! See you on the forums.

Charles

G'day Charles. Welcome to the forum. What part of Oz are you from?

GDay Charles, Welcome to the forum.

Don't be backward in coming forward to ask questions. There are lots of knowledgeable folks here so you will get the answers you need.

Thanks for the welcome! I am in Brisbane.

Hi Charles and welcome to the forum

I only live about 1/2 mile from Lister's works in Dursley, or what's left of it and know quite a few people who have worked there (and one or two who still do).

So plenty of Lister expertise around this way.

Regards Mark

Gday Mark, Now that might well come in handy! My engine runs very well and I love starting it. I want to just tidy up its presentation a little and mount it on a mobile cart. That would have been started this weekend except for my injury but no doubt all in good time. If I have any questions I can't answer I'll be sure to contact you.

Hello Charles and welcome to the forum! I guess you will be an invalid for a while with your snapped tendon, how did you do that? Anyhow, hope you will be up and about again soon.
Stew.

Hi Stew,

I did it at one of those work bonding events. Wonderful.

Thanks for the well wishes. Besides the pain involved it is driving me insane not being able to move much at the moment. Looking foward to getting back to be able to starting a first project.

Latest posts

Back