Torch help for traction engine build

Discussion in 'Boilers' started by smittman, Oct 12, 2018.

Help Support HMEM by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 12, 2018 #1

smittman

smittman

smittman

Hello, Ive been accumulating parts tools etc for the past 2 years in anticipation of building a myford boy traction engine. The last tool and possibly the most critical one is a torch for all the boiler brazing. Living on disability i cant just run out and buy a sievert or bullfinch etc. My question is , can i build a propane one like the ones used for the foundry's Ive seen in the hundreds of videos Ive watched over the last 2 years in preparation of the build. They get hot enough to melt aluminum and brass and i would be a leg up on casting my own wheels and flywheels for other projects down the road when i could afford to build the rest of the foundry. I realize i need to reflect the heat back at the boiler as it is being heated. And it is 2" copper tube not a 5 or 6" boiler. So im just looking for a little advice before i ruin a 50$ piece of copper tube. Any way i really have learned a lot from this site and have read most of the question and answers trying to pick up machining tips.
    Yesterday i couldn't spell machinist, today well i can spell it but thats about all.
    Thanks in advance, Dave
    Port Charlotte Fl.

2. Oct 12, 2018 #2

ddmckee54

ddmckee54

ddmckee54

"Yesterday i couldn't spell machinist, today well i can spell it but thats about all."

Isn't that kind of like saying "5 years I couldn't spit over my own chin, now I can spit all over it"?

Don

3. Oct 13, 2018 #3

Cogsy

Cogsy

Cogsy

Moderator Moderator Global Moderator

I can't see why it wouldn't work perfectly well. I know 'normal' hand held propane torches struggle with providing enough heat to solder a boiler but essentially you're going to be using a burner rather than a torch. I guess you need to make sure you can safely handle it, which might mean a few modifications to the design, but heat wise it should be fine.