Torch help for traction engine build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittman

Reaction score
Hello, Ive been accumulating parts tools etc for the past 2 years in anticipation of building a myford boy traction engine. The last tool and possibly the most critical one is a torch for all the boiler brazing. Living on disability i cant just run out and buy a sievert or bullfinch etc. My question is , can i build a propane one like the ones used for the foundry's Ive seen in the hundreds of videos Ive watched over the last 2 years in preparation of the build. They get hot enough to melt aluminum and brass and i would be a leg up on casting my own wheels and flywheels for other projects down the road when i could afford to build the rest of the foundry. I realize i need to reflect the heat back at the boiler as it is being heated. And it is 2" copper tube not a 5 or 6" boiler. So im just looking for a little advice before i ruin a 50$ piece of copper tube. Any way i really have learned a lot from this site and have read most of the question and answers trying to pick up machining tips.
Yesterday i couldn't spell machinist, today well i can spell it but thats about all.
Thanks in advance, Dave
Port Charlotte Fl.

"Yesterday i couldn't spell machinist, today well i can spell it but thats about all."

Isn't that kind of like saying "5 years I couldn't spit over my own chin, now I can spit all over it"?

Don

I can't see why it wouldn't work perfectly well. I know 'normal' hand held propane torches struggle with providing enough heat to solder a boiler but essentially you're going to be using a burner rather than a torch. I guess you need to make sure you can safely handle it, which might mean a few modifications to the design, but heat wise it should be fine.

Hello, Ive been accumulating parts tools etc for the past 2 years in anticipation of building a myford boy traction engine. The last tool and possibly the most critical one is a torch for all the boiler brazing. Living on disability i cant just run out and buy a sievert or bullfinch etc. My question is , can i build a propane one like the ones used for the foundry's Ive seen in the hundreds of videos Ive watched over the last 2 years in preparation of the build. They get hot enough to melt aluminum and brass and i would be a leg up on casting my own wheels and flywheels for other projects down the road when i could afford to build the rest of the foundry. I realize i need to reflect the heat back at the boiler as it is being heated. And it is 2" copper tube not a 5 or 6" boiler. So im just looking for a little advice before i ruin a 50$ piece of copper tube. Any way i really have learned a lot from this site and have read most of the question and answers trying to pick up machining tips.
Yesterday i couldn't spell machinist, today well i can spell it but thats about all.
Thanks in advance, Dave
Port Charlotte Fl.

Dave, I can't advise you on the torch, I bought a Victor torch myself. As far as reflecting the heat towards the boiler, you need refractory brick also known a s insulating brick. I also bought a 3lb container of refractory cement. You can use it to cement broken refractory bricks together or shape it for an oven. I orginally bought firebrick , this actually holds the heat . I usually use the firebrick for a base, then the refractory brick on top.
Sheffield Pottery is where I buy it online. You may be able to buy it locally, I couldn't.
mike

Latest posts

Back