Tool question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotebgone

Reaction score
Does anyone know what type of cutters these are? Am I missing a piece to mount them in my mill?

I purchased a box of machinist tools and this was in it?

Thanks.

IMG_1556[1].jpg

IMG_1557[1].jpg

IMG_1558[1].jpg

I think that they are glass cutting tip for an ultrasonic drill.
Cheers,
Kerry from OZ

Unless you have the threaded spindle to while the collars mount to hold the tool holders then you might as well put these pieces back in a box and save them.

I agree that they are probably for woodworking.

Looks like tools for a spindle moulder used in woodwork. Like a table mounted router

Hi All,
In my previous post I suggested that the tool might be glass drilling bits. In fact I know that they are glass drilling bits as I have personally used this sort of tool. If you look at the smaller ends you will see the remains of some some silver solder( or brazing) that held the embedded diamond particles. the bits could also be used in a conventional bench drill. you can also see where the water jacket was connected that allowed a continuous controlled flow of water onto the tip to wash the grindings away.
Have a look at [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHRVbEUgntY[/ame]
and you will see a machine in action.
I suggest that the tools were in the odds and sods because the diamond was worn away.
Cheers,
Kerry from OZ

Last edited:
Perhaps the cutting tips can be reused if shortened and sharpened to look like end mills. Or braze on a carbide tip, sharpen it with a green wheel then use it in a hammer drill.

There are lots of possibilities to salvage these cutters. However like most of my great idea projects, the option to 'do nothing' needs to be on the list too. If you are like me, you can't leave them alone until they are repurposed or totally ruined.

Have fun.

Latest posts

Back