tool post

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronson

Reaction score
Hi i know tool posts have been talked to death, but i wanted to know which way you guys would go i was going to get a QCTP from http://cdcotools.com/ i wanted to know if people where happy with this place and if you would go with the piston type for $78 and 5 tool holders or wedge type and 5 holders for $98 and if both have interchangeable tool holders with aloris and dorian and phase II. Thanks for any info you have on this thanks in advance. Bronson

Bronson:

I have dealt with them. They are a legit company. I have purchased tool holders only at this point. IMHO a good bang for the buck. I love my Aloris wedge but much more $$$. I am considering a set from them . Again IMHO hedge your bets and get the wedge style.
Now the downsides of these tools. the set screws are junk. buy a box of 100 good ones from enco or mcmaster carr and replace the screws. Also do not expect them to fit aloris. they may or may not out of the box. but a minute or so on a belt sander and they fit fine. another warning I personally would not use a plunge type knurling tool on my machines they put a lot of force on the spindle . if you want to knurl and you should want to knurl as it is basic machining buy or make a scissors type knurl.
Tin

I never bought anything from this place. But AXA BXA and CXA should be industry standard sizes. I would hope that this manufacture would make their tool post fit the standard that they say they fit. As far as piston or wedge goes I tend to like wedge. Been using them for years on many industrial lathes I have run. Hopefully someone else has bought one of these and can comment on how good they are.

Tin beat me to it.

I have some of CDCO's BXA tool holders and they fit my Dorian toolpost with no problem. Like Tin said, the screws are junk.

I'd also spend the exta $$ for the wedge style post.

Regards,

Chuck

Thanks for the quick replies i think i will go for the wedge style and a few extra holders as the shipping is the same till 20 pounds thanks again.

no problem just hope you get your moneys worth from the fee advice LOL.
Tin

I have purchased approximately two dozen of the CDCO BXA series tool holders and use them with a Phase II wedge type post.

Of the two dozen I received, one holder that did not fit my BXA post correctly (dovetail slot too wide).

Back