Tool list for a beginner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
coolgoose,
You might find these folks real handy for getting stock.
http://www.onlinemetals.com/
They are in the industrial area in S.Seattle. They have a good selection and their prices seem fair.
The best part is if you pick up at the warehouse, you don't have to pay shipping.

I'm out in Ocean Shores and only have a couple of machine shops in Aberdeen to scrounge metal from. When they don't have what I need, I just have to man up and pay the freight. (That or do a lot of milling or turning to make a smaller piece out of a bigger one. i.e. you need a .75 piece of round or flat and all that's available is 1")

Oh yeah, don't get too enamoured of using big chunks of brass. ;) (You will understand when you start pricing it.)

Dean

Hello

May i ask a question and its somewhat relavant to this topic. Im not new to this by any means but have never had a thand aping press What are your views on these. please, I use the latthe when i can for Dies but as for taps have always been vie hand eye coordination? Is it worth the expence and space do you think.

Andy

Not used a hand tapping stand myself Andy so can't comment on that but I do use the Lathe, Drill Press and Milling Machine for hand tapping operations to keep things square.

Vic.

Hi

Thanks for the Reply Iv seen somthing used between the tap and the M/C but am unsure what it is It looks like it aids the tapping? Is this so And if so what is the device. Nothing like this was around 35+ years ago :-[

Sorry if it seems like im of topic or hijaking the thread If you think so could we possibly move iit to its own But I think the next answear will surfice and we can bed one with it, But it does come into the tools needed braket i would think?

Regs Andy

Hi Andy . Sorry i am not 100% sure what you mean but i can say that a simple piece of brass turned square at each end then a hole drilled down the middle so it is a comfortable fit for the tap then used as a guide ensures a straight thread every time. Hope this helps because once you have made one for a certain sized tap you don't have to make it again and eventually you will end up with a full set and saves buying tapping stands.

Rob........

I am a relatively new owner of the C2 lathe (about a year) (the Harbor Freight 7 x 10 version, to which I recently added the 14-inch bed kit from LMS). Here is a link to some of the mods I have made for the lathe. If u have problems viewing, let me know. I also will post a series of pix detailing the step by step progress of the QCTP I made.

http://picasaweb.google.com/btberlin/Machining?authkey=Gv1sRgCMKc67TytP3qoAE#

Each picture is captioned but I will be glad to answer questions. I also included my priority order of doing the mods in each caption. Your mileage may vary.

bert

Latest posts

Back