Tool Grinding

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint

Reaction score
I am just starting out with this, and have been trying to grind some tools for practice while waiting for a lathe...BTW Santa I've been REAL good!!!
Anyway I have been trying to make a RIGHT handed tool, and by the time I have ground the front side and top, I end up with a tool that seems to approximate what I have seen. I have not yet broken the tip. The concern I have is that the tool when viewed from the top and rotated 1/4 turn clockwise appears to beLEFT handed. I hope this description is clear. I have looked at Jose's page and it looks like it comes close. Clearly as I don't have a lathe yet, I can't test it out.

Have I totally messed up, or am I in the ballpark?

Perhaps I can post a picture later.

flint said:
The concern I have is that the tool when viewed from the top and rotated 1/4 turn clockwise appears to be LEFT handed.

Flint,

There are various accepted ways of grinding tool bits and one of those, commonly called a knife tool, will produce the result you describe.

IMHO you have not messed up and are in the ball park for making bits as recommended by LH Sparey amongst others.

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks very much for the help. There are lots of places I would not have asked a question like this. I appreciate the fact that members here are very helpful...even when the question is extremely basic.

In USAF tech school we were taught to grind up a few bit in our srare time and do everything but the radius then put them in out tool box then when you needed it put the radius on these bits could be used left or right handed depending on where the radius was ground you are likely doing ok. I know a late post but we all need a little extra encouragement.
Tin

Latest posts

Back