Tiny engines...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesfitton

Reaction score
Spotted this post on YouTube yesterday... this gent has an interesting take on tiny engines...built from material that you find in hobby shops.

I'm impressed

f
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFwZQPaYa9Q[/ame]

They are awesome! It shouldn't be to hard for someone to add radio gear to make them into a radio controlled boat

Any idea on the price of his book?

Will

I emailed him a while back but can't remember the exact price of the book. I know he only had a couple left and wasn't planning to have them reprinted due to the cost. I suggested he might look into getting it published electronically on Amazon, etc and he thought that was a good idea but I don't know if it's happened yet. From memory, with exchange rates and shipping to Australia, it was going to cost me about $100 so I'm guessing the book on it's own was around $50 USD. Seems like a pretty good price for what you get but I just couldn't afford it.

yea thats kinda my problem i cant afford much i have been off of work for 19 months with an injury and i am raising 4 small kids so they take up most of my money lol

Will

I agree. He sent me a sample from the book and it looks well written. I hope he gets it into electronic print which will cut down overheads and eliminate shipping costs, so the book will be more affordable and also make him more money. Be a shame for it to disappear forever just because printing costs are so high.

I saw this thread this morning and sent Les an email. The book is $50.00 plus $5.00 shipping. I ordered one using PP.

Last edited:
Sameone have plans for this engine to give me? I want o to try to di ora of them...

Cogsy,

Something like those little engines would be easy to design yourself, they all seem to work on a piston valve principle.

Maybe an easier way would be to obtain both of Tubal Cains (late Tom Walshaw) books and look to scale one of his little engines.
I took the basic plan of his tiny single cylinder off the side of the shown boiler in his book and mounted it up independently, it makes a lovely little engine and is one of the few I haven't given away because the kids love to see it run.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76_TtDfYPCo[/ame]

But you do need to be able to turn small items from the solid, and no, it wasn't turned up on a tiny lathe, but my 10f Atlas in a 6" four jaw.

Crankshaft_zpsknsfcy6w.jpg

As shown previously, the ones on here, although oscillators, scale up or down very nicely.

http://jpduval.free.fr/Plans_moteurs_vapeur_p1.htm

Just click on whatever one you want and you can download the plans for free.

John

Last edited:
This is a capture from the video of the single cylinder engine.

Lohring Miller

Leslie Proper engine.jpg

Les will send you the plans for the little single cylinder engine if you ask.

Back