Timing tape

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakc

Reaction score
My Google-Fu does not seem to be working so well this morning. I recall finding a webpage with a program that would calculate and print out a timing tape for whatever diameter of circle. I checked Marv's pages but if its there I missed it. In this case, I am looking to make degree markings on the inside of this ring.
100_0930.jpg

the circumference of a circle is pi times the diameter. there are 360 degrees in a circle.
a little planning ahead make the circumference a even multiple of 36 say 72 inches. divide that by pi and you end up with 22.918 for your diameter. and voila 1 degree is 0. 2".
what is the diameter of your ring multiply by pi then divide by 360.Or if you know how long the piece is you made the ring out of just divide that by 360
nothing a little math and a set of dividers can not handle.

tin

When you use this maths doing metal rings could be a good idea to add the thickness of the piece to the total length, that is normally enough for compensate the deformation when you bend the metal.

Thanks for the suggestions. While the math to divide it up is fairly easy, printing it out so I can glue it on the inside of the ring is a little more shop time then I wished to devote this morning. :)
I have seen the quick answer somewhere in the past, just cant remember where it is.

Hello Lak, would a regular degree wheel available at most automotive outlets not do the job just as easily? What is the reason for wishing to mark the inside of the fan shroud?

Jim
BC1

I have a degree wheel, but I am making ignition and cam timing measurements. It's way more accurate, and easy, to use the tip of the propeller inside the shroud. And while I have a timing light with a tachometer and electronic advance, I could tap the output straight from the ignition system.

Latest posts

Back