Thru the door

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bogstandard

I am just about to order my new miller, but have hit a major snag.

http://www.chesteruk.net/store/836_turret_mill.htm

The suppliers send the machine fully built up, and won't be tied down to whether it will go thru the 32" wide doorway by usual jiggery pokery methods of moving the table fully one way, turning the turret by 90 deg., removing a few ancilliaries and twisting it thru the entrance.

It isn't as big as a Bridgeport.

Has anyone come across this problem, or will I have to send for the cavalry and strip down to the last nut and bolt.

John

I say it's time for a wider door! A few minutes with a chain saw, problem solved.

Think of great shop ventilation you'll have.

Nice looking mill (miller).

Looking at the dimensions,I'd say,"Houston,we have a problem"
The smallest dimension being 1200mm,even if you "quartered" it through,I think you'll be in a pickle.
I think you're going to learn a lot about this machine,having to strip it down to get through into your workshop. ;D

John,

It may or may not go through a door by twisting, dependant on what is adjacent to the door, ie benches pillars or returns. What can be removed, can you take some pics?

Thinking like an Egyptian, is the floor flat enough for pipes as rollers, pallet truck or can you sling it and fleet it through the opening obliquely? What is access like? Can you take out a section of roof and rent a HIAB?

Even removing the door frame could give some more inches/travel.

The turret should remove from the dovetail easily enough as long as any wires and lubrication pipes can be disconnected.

Can the head be turned through 180 deg for portage even though it says 90 which'll be for work envelope?

Will the table handwheels come off, I assume the drip tray would be fairly easy

670 Kgs isn't as heavy as I thought it would be. Professional machinery movers might be worth considering, If you're paying delivery from Chester ask them to quote you to do the hard stuff or get some pros to collect from Chester and do it.

Seen something somewhere else on moving a BP through a door, I'll look around.

Al

John,

As someone who now works for a garage door company (last two years) I say take a pannel out of the front of your shop!!

I know that might present an issue with the covered wall etc... possibly the roof suypport...but not usually for one pannel.
It is do-able and in my view a lot less hasstle than stripping a brand new machine! ;D

Tell me what your thoughts are... It's an option that can be arranged ;)

Ralph.

Ralph,
Wall removal isn't an option. The way the insulation and boarding was fitted to walls, plus all the internal wiring it won't just affect the one wall, but the wall next to it and the ceiling. Sorry Ralph, no chop job for you. Thanks for the offer anyway.
BTW Your new free standing surface plate is shown in the last pic, with the wood you gave me sitting on it.

Al, I don't think the height will be a problem, it is 78".
I can get another 1.5" width by removing the door frame.
I have got Chesters fitting team on the job, it is them that are sucking air in thru pursed lips. Maybe trying to push the price up. I was told by Chester at Harrogate show, that they could pop it thru a standard doorway with no problems.

If I do it myself, I will be using a collapsible 3 ton engine hoist.

Pics below.
Everything on the outside will be gone, and internally the place will be almost empty. The benches are being dumped.

John

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

And a step up to contend with while working it through...Without taking it all apart I dont think theres any chance that it can go through that opening without scraping all the way through.
If it were me I would not have anybody do that move for me but would do it all entirely myself , slow and cautiously.You cant trust anybody else to care about your stuff like you do..
Fine looking machine.

Bog, it looks like from the pics that you are going to have some tear down time. The step you are going to have to negotiate will also complicate things quite a bit. You likely can get away with just taking the table off of the knee, but not seeing the machine versus the building.....

My advice would be to obviously plan out the best option for moving the machine, and then plan a couple of different methods as well. Have the items needed for each method on hand in case you have to change from plan "A" to plan "B". This will keep you from having to stop right in the middle of the operation to run after something more. The other piece of advice is to have a trusted helper there with you to help out with the little extra 'push' that you may need here or there. Having the extra eyes is always a benefit as well.

I know this is most likely preaching to the choir, but take it slow and methodical. Keep safety priority one, watch those pinch points, never get between the machine and an immovable surface that you can't quickly escape from if the need should arise, and have everything you need ready to go when it is time to move the unit.

Best wishes on the move, and more importantly, have fun with the new mill!!

Bogstandard said:
I have got Chesters fitting team on the job, it is them that are sucking air in thru pursed lips. Maybe trying to push the price up. I was told by Chester at Harrogate show, that they could pop it thru a standard doorway with no problems.

How strange that their sales and delivery teams (or are the delivery force sub-contracted) are not on the same hymn sheet! ::) I'd be willing to bet the salesman was on commision. Perhaps a well worded letter to their MD might garner a freebie as a sweetener after it's all done.

John , I feel for you. I just moved in a 9x42 Bridgeport last weekend. It was hell and we had a 9ft door to come in. Ok the biggest problem was backing up the driveway.We did remove the turret from the top of the machine though to reduce weight.
You said in your first post that you have a 28" doorway .

Bogstandard said:
I was told by Chester at Harrogate show, that they could pop it thru a standard doorway with no problems.

Is this considered a standard doorway over there?
Best of luck!
Tim

John
I'd be for moving the mill to the end of the patio and then extending the shed over it, gaining about half again as much room as you currently enjoy. Option two... it would go in my garage much easier...(grin). Nice piece of kit.

Steve

Looks like I have been deceiving you lot, my doorway is in fact 32" wide, I must have been half asleep (as usual) when I did my post. Now corrected.

The standard household doorways are 30" or 27" if you are stuck for space.

I know all about salemen, do you honestly think I would place an order on their sales pitch?

It is their a$$e that is twitching, I have told them that if they can get it in, they have a sale. I had two of them running around like headless chickens when I went into their showroom last week, carrying a catalogue and tape measure. I had them running around measuring all the compound slides on the lathes for when I fit the secondary DRO to my new one, and seeing just how small they can get this miller by removing ancillaries. Amateurs.

Even if they can't do it in one piece, I will still place the order, at a much reduced cost, as I know I can get it in there with a bit of disassembly, but I was wondering if anyone had done it before, to help me on my way. It is quite a bit smaller and lighter than a standard Bridgeport.

Steve,

Option 1 is a non runner, that patio IS my garden. For option 2, do you think I have lost my one and only brain cell.

John

Bogstandard said:
Option 1 is a non runner, that patio IS my garden. For option 2, do you think I have lost my one and only brain cell.

John

He was only joking John - everybody knows you would be better shipping it to a certain address in Sunny Orstralia, where it never rains, hence it won't run the risk of going rusty. ;D

John,

I'm with Ralph, surely it's got to be easier to take out and replace the garage wall than strip the Mill ;D

If you need help, I have all the kit needed, a "large" assistant (youngest son ::) ) and we are prepared to travel ;D ................. your tea and coffee bill might go up drastically though 8)

Dave

He was only joking John - everybody knows you would be better shipping it to a certain address in Sunny Orstralia, where it never rains, hence it won't run the risk of going rusty. Grin

Yabut,Tel,the "bulldust"will get into the bearings,and ruin it in short order :big:

Seriously though ,John,I can't see how you get it through without taking off at least the drip tray,table,handles and any other sticky-out bits
Btw,Measure the width of the lifting device before you rent it.I had to take the plasterboard off my doorway to get the crane through,ne'er mind the mill!
How will you do for height?That mill looks quite tall.I had to lift my ZAY45 in 3 stages,in order to get it onto it's stand,e.g.setting up intermediate levels with 4x2's.
And your mill looks to be a lot taller than mine.
Anyway,I'm sure you'll work something out.All the best.Hans

Hans,

No problem with the height, even with the turret upright.

My team of merry men and I could most probably have it down to basic components in an hour. So there is no worry it won't go in.

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to resort to that if someone had done it before without a full stripdown.

I suppose I will have to await Chesters' offering, then take it from there.

The lathe comes ready built as well, but that will go straight thru.

John

Be honest! You know that the first thing you will do will be take it to bits and "adjust" it for optimum performance anyway!

Not to mention a full service clean and grease.

Rick,

I was honestly thinking that myself, why tweak in stages, do the whole lot in one go, job done.
I am sure the Chinese won't take much care on the setting up side, wack it together so it looks nice, that will do, get it sold.

John

John,

I fitted one of these into a 10 x 8 wooden shed for a guy.
Used a folding 1 tonne engine crane, Machine Marts finest <g>, took the head off complete from the 3 top nuts and laid it outside.
Lifted the machine off the base from the top, walked the base in to just inside the door then relifted the machine and twisted it thru the door to drop back on the base.
Then lifted the head back on.

Once the head is off with it's rear mounted motor the machine is small in the front to back direction and allows you to swing it thru a doorway.

Probably took less than an hour and honestly it was no sweat.

John,

Many thanks for that info, it has put my mind at rest.

If Chester come up with a stupid installation figure, I can now quite happily show them a two fingered salute.

Thanks again

John

Latest posts

Back