Threading mistake

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stew

Reaction score
HI All,
Late Yesterday I decided to have a go at Thread Cutting on My Lathe with some Indexable Carbide Tools that I Bought last Year. I grabbed a piece of Solid Round Bar and turned it down to 25.4mm . I looked at the Thread Chart on the Lathe and thought ok I'll cut a 8 tpi 1 inch thread. So I set the Feed Gearbox Levers ( or so I thought) .

Here I was Cutting away the Threading Tool was working really well (I had tried in the past with hss with no luck). When the Thread looked like it was ready, I stopped the Lathe and checked the Thread well the 8 tpi Thread Gauge didn't match ( well I did think something was odd about the Thread).

I went through the Thread gauges till one matched, 13 tpi matched perfectly. Well I've done something wrong. After rechecking the Gearbox Feed levers, I realised that I had only the changed the left hand side feed Lever position:wall:. I normally have the right hand lever on 6 or 7 and today it was on 7 hence why I cut a 13 tpi thread instead of the 8 tpi that I wanted. The thread was good, but there is no such thing as a 1" 13 tpi thread.

I learnt a good lesson anyway - ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK THE POSITION OF THE GEARBOX FEED LEVERS WHEN THREAD CUTTING & NO DOUBT THE CHANGE GEARS AS WELL. One good thing though I was only having a play so at least I didn't stuff up an important Job.

All The Best Stew

al960 thread.jpg

Last edited:
Stew. I think you meant to say no such thing as a 1" 13 tpi thread;)

I only thing I had to see the word MADE IN TAIWAN this also true with MADE IN CHINA
I have used and owned a lot tools that was not made in USA. I had the hard knocks now I check ever thing out. Try using Sharple and metal stamps I would use both

PS Did any one see 19TPI I have only found this on very old firearms made in England. I have never use this was a wasted spot.

Dave

HI All,
Late Yesterday I decided to have a go at Thread Cutting on My Lathe with some Indexable Carbide Tools that I Bought last Year. I grabbed a piece of Solid Round Bar and turned it down to 25.4mm . I looked at the Thread Chart on the Lathe and thought ok I'll cut a 8 tpi 1 inch thread. So I set the Feed Gearbox Levers ( or so I thought) .

Here I was Cutting away the Threading Tool was working really well (I had tried in the past with hss with no luck). When the Thread looked like it was ready, I stopped the Lathe and checked the Thread well the 8 tpi Thread Gauge didn't match ( well I did think something was odd about the Thread).

I went through the Thread gauges till one matched, 13 tpi matched perfectly. Well I've done something wrong. After rechecking the Gearbox Feed levers, I realised that I had only the changed the left hand side feed Lever position:wall:. I normally have the right hand lever on 6 or 7 and today it was on 7 hence why I cut a 13 tpi thread instead of the 8 tpi that I wanted. The thread was good, but there is no such thing as a 1 inch 8 tpi thread.

I learnt a good lesson anyway - ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK THE POSITION OF THE GEARBOX FEED LEVERS WHEN THREAD CUTTING & NO DOUBT THE CHANGE GEARS AS WELL. One good thing though I was only having a play so at least I didn't stuff up an important Job.

All The Best Stew

Stew,
Even after checking the position of the QCGB levers ALWAYS take a very light cut so that the work surface is just marked with the lead of the thread & check with your thread pitch gauges. No exceptions to this rule!
Regards,
Don.

Stew,
Even after checking the position of the QCGB levers ALWAYS take a very light cut so that the work surface is just marked with the lead of the thread & check with your thread pitch gauges. No exceptions to this rule!
Regards,
Don.

Exactly what I was going to type. Don't have a pitch gage or a bolt? Set the pitch on a set of calipers and "eyeball" it. Your 1" 8tpi has a pitch of .125

Jeff

Well the last two Gents stole all my thunder!!!;D

Latest posts

Back