This hobby has turned me into a greeny. :-)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tmuir, you got so many people taring apart printers I thought I better give it a try. A friend replaced his printer and I grabbed up the old one.
I spent about 1 hour with a power screwdriver and sidecutter and ended up with quite a haul. It WAS an Epson printer, copier, & scanner. Now it is 14 gears, 4 SS shafts, 2 12V motors, 3 mirrors, 3 belts, a power cord, many springs of all types, and a pile of screws, washers, e-clips, etc. etc. Right now I don't have any plans for any of it but eventually some of it will get used.

After running the plastic covers and metal frame through the band saw, there is just a small box full for the garbageman.

EpsonPrinterParts007.jpg

I've also dsicovered the biggest SS bar you get from the printer is straighter than anything else I have so is great for checking alignment on the lathe too.

I have to mail order all my bar stock so anything I can pick up locally is a bonus.

If you come across a HP or Lexmark printer they have two encoder systems in them.
One is a linear encoder that keeps track of the head position and the other is a rotary encoder that tracks the paper feed roller.
Other printers might have them as well but I haven't seen them in the Epson printers.

I'm working on a Linear scale and DRO project that will use these :idea:. All will be revealed shortly. 8)

You can see the mylar strip just above the drive belt and running behind the cartridge holder.
small0002.jpg

These are the close ups of the anchoring points of the strip.

The quadrature encoder head on the back of the cartridge holder
small0005.jpg

This rotary wheel has a resolution of 0.05° using it's encoder head.
small0013.jpg

Putputman, the rubber rollers on the S/S shaft will just slide off with a bit of effort. I turfed the first shaft I got thinking it would be of no use and not knowing that they aren't moulded or glued on. :Doh:

The light tube and inverter circuit board in the scanner heads could be used for ilumination in a project of display case as well. The input to the inverter board is usually 18Vdc or 12Vdc. You don't have to hunt for a power supply because the printer has one already.

Cheers
Phil

scrapped a lexmark printer a while ago but only found the linear quadrature encoder for the head, none for paper feed It was a Lexmark Z51.

You right Diymania I think it's only the HP's that have the rotary encoder, I've got the parts of 5 printers all mixed up in one box at the moment. 2 HP's, 2 Lexmarks and an Epson, along with some scanners. I have 4 linear strips but only two wheels.

Sorry for the incorrect info.

Cheers,
Phil

My wife's coffee maker (BUNN Brand) died the other day, so I thought I'd tear into it to see what I could salvage. Two switches, a thermocouple, a real nice stainless tank (part for a small foundry?), and a hot plate (possibly a heat source mounted in a wooden base for displaying a sterling miser). It's amazing how your mind thinks when tearing "junk" apart.

Great tips! I've disemboweled a sewing machine, some neat connecting rods and bell cranks and cast parts inside, and also got 4 drawers for my workbench.

I'm just wondering, has anybody got any good parts from a VHS recorder/player? They seem to be all over the yard sales lately, free or cheap.

Davyboy

Majorstrain said:
One is a linear encoder that keeps track of the head position

You can see the mylar strip just above the drive belt and running behind the cartridge holder.
Cheers
Phil

Dam I saw that in my Epson printer, couldn't for the life of me think what it was for and ditched it...

Please post your DRO projects soon as I am itching to see what you did with this as buying myself a DRO at the moment is outside my budget.

I wish this thread would stop. The memories are killing me...

Just prior to starting this wonderful hobby last February...I got rid of (threw away)...

a: At least 3 printers
b: At least two computers
c: A sewing machine from the 60's
d: Two kids bikes
e: ...and much much more in an attempt to make room for my hobby...

I could cry and I just don't want to think about it anymore.

I didn't know! I just didn't know!

Got these from work a couple of weeks ago ;D

Working in the IT dept of my company, I get to "throw away" all the old goodies :big:
Workplace insists on running PCs until they can't even be given away, and as I'm responsible for data security, I pull all hard disks and lots of plate and CPU heatsinks from the PCs before chucking them in the bin. Hard disks and heatsinks will make for lovely aluminium to melt down once I build a furnace ;D

IMG_1391.JPG

Latest posts

Back