thinkin about a steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reubenT

Reaction score
While I'm busy in the shop putting together my latest project, (adapting a '94 ford V6 to run an old case D450 track loader, it's taking several custom parts to do it. I'm putting a jack shaft in to replace the original engine crankshaft, coupled to the transmission and main hyd pump, belt driven from the gas engine mounted above it with 4 B belts. I switched the hydraulic pump from splined shaft to smooth shaft to take a lovejoy coupler by heating a steel pipe to forging temp and driving it on the splined shaft, then turning it down to fit the flex coupler. Drilled a hole in the seam for a nail to serve as locking key.) I'm thinking about my need/want for a wood fired tractor.
I have a 10 hp boiler half built waiting on time to finish it. (a water tube version designed for 600 psi working pressure and 900 test, but would probably be run at 200 by me) And I'm thinking about how I can put together a piston engine of some sort. how bout a 4" dozer cy sleeve for the cylinder? Maybe a hydraulic cylinder rod for the piston rod. How bout a rod from an old tail gate lift cy for the valve rod. (might be too small) I have some old flat belt pulleys (2-3' dia) and a square baler flywheel, several steel shaft sections. If I need some cast iron parts I could try firing up my 55 gal barrel cupola furnace that I built but havn't tried out yet. Plenty of aluminum transmission cases laying around if I need some aluminum parts. Although I need a bigger aluminum melting arrangement, the little 5 gallon furnace won't take a very large can o metal. Oh and I probably need a brass crucible for melting down scrap radiators for a few brass parts. How bout a weighted swing arm controlled shifting eccentric for a governor? probably easier than building a flyball governor and balanced throttling valve. Does it all sound feasible?
I do have most of the books lindsey has sold for steam engine technology. I just went searching for gland packing info and found two viable methods, graphite braid and babbit. I may try the braid for that and use either babbit or brass blocks for bearings.

Back