The Smallest Part You Ever Made?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
I know I have posted this question here before, but it has been awhile.
The scale of parts that Doc is making now has me absolutely AMAZED!
Beautiful work Doc! :bow:

The smallest precision parts I have ever made were the valve bushings
for my Poppin build.

Poppin%20Valve%20Bushings.jpg

I know those parts are not really that small.

SO, What is the smallest part you have ever made?
th_wwp

Rick

Parts for lantern tool post for miniature metal lathe...

TOOLPOST3.jpg

Completed tool post...

TOLLPOST4.jpg

Prototype spur drive center for miniature wood lathe

SPUR.jpg

Functioning bearing oil cup for miniature metal lathe...

CUP.jpg

After looking at the above work I feel so... inadequate. :( But being a novice I was proud when I finished my 64 DP, 20 toothed gears.

Rudy

64DP20TGears.jpg

Single pointing a #2 x 128 tpi needle valve with a 12" Logan! :eek:

DOT is .0044"...did it in two passes.

Dave

00-90 nut and bolt is the smallest i have made, tapped the nut but i cut the thread on the lathe (under a microscope)

chuck

You guys make me sick! ;D

Loving the pictures!!!
Keep them coming!

The smallest part i have made can be seen by the naked eye from the moon! :big:
One day i hope to be able to produce work close to all of yours!!

Andrew

Dave and Chuck, I have no doubts about your achievements, but:
th_wwp

Great replies group!
I knew this would be an interesting question.

Rick

Smallest I've made recently. I think I succeeded in trying to forget about the others :D

CIMG9064.jpg

This is a .020 - .030" D try for a guy who wanted some scale model airplane parts, I cut the radius's freehand and he wanted exact, as well as some .010 wide grooves near the point. After fiquring out the time needed to do as he wanted, I passed on making them.

pitottubes001.jpg

About 12 years ago our shop made tiny parts and a 5 gallon bucket around 1/3 full had 70,000 parts in it worth $100,000.

If I was the boss we would not run parts like that Run your wire some place else.

The parts for the 1/4 scale Tiny I started back in 2009. The piston dia. is 049. The hole through the rod portion of the piston is .016. That's .016 dia music wire through it in the picture as well as through the brass bushing for the column. The column has a .042 dia. hole for the bushing. The hole above it on the face is .016 thru and the one with the broken drill bit is .0135 (#80).

I kick the idea of starting this project backup every once in a while, but it's too tedious.

-Bob

DSC02509[1].JPG

well here you go rick.

IMG_8760-1.jpg

the big nut is #6-32 and the small nut is 00-92 not 00-90 i cut this thread on my 9" south bend and it only has 92 threads to the inch not 90.
with that in mind i remember making a 00-92 tap for the nut but i cannot find the tap :mad: if i find it i will post a picture of it as well.

if i remember right i turned the lathe by hand so i could thread right up to the head of the bolt.

i ruined a few bolts (10 or 12) trying to get the three i needed and this one is a spare.

chuck

I don't think I have any pictures of just one part but here's a few parts screwed together with a tire valve cap for comparison.
gbritnell

SM VERT ENG3.jpg

Chuck- Very impressive. I have single point cut 0-80 but 00-92 is nuts.

George-As usual, you are a god. Beyond impressive.

Steve- Impressive as hell.

Another Micro HOSC similar to Steve's.
Built in 1992 on a Bridgeport and a10 inch Clausing/Nardini lathe.

There are probably still some of those little springs in the corners of the shop. It took me about a dozen tries to get the spring installed.

1/16 inch bore and stroke. Base is 1/4 inch by 3/8 inch. Crankshaft is 1/32 diameter and flywheel is 1/4 inch diameter.

Gail in NM

MicroHOSC gag.jpg

smallest things I have made to date are pipe nipples for 1/16 od copper pipe the bear was silver soldering them onto the pipe without filling up the bore no pics as they ar all installed on the loco

they are oil and steam lines

Stuart

Latest posts

Back