The Most Hideous Running Webster 4-Stroke Ever.

Help Support HMEM:

bigearl91

Reaction score
Drunken threads, rough gaskets, nasty soldering, discoloured fuel lines, a complete lack of finishing and polishing. She has it all!

Well, after a long year, undertaking several projects on the way, I am delighted to have finished my Webster 4 Stroke. I am incredibly happy with what has been achieved not because of the finished product, but everything I have learned along the way.

I will keep this short but this is my first proper model engine or model engineering project ever. Prior to this I designed and made a 2 stroke which ran briefly before I scrapped it and decided using plans is a better idea to begin with. I got a hand on machine tools during school some 12 years ago and recently decided to give it another go. This project has forced me to learn how to cut gears, mill cams, cut keyways, boring heads, thread cutting, make piston rings, lap valves etc. etc.

Now for the Farmboy or Rupnow Sideshaft...

Anyway, some photos below and a video of it running, and me struggling to use a flat head scroddy.

Thanks for looking

Earl

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
That's just the price of admission. Over all it's no worse than anybody else's first engine. Seems to run ok and doesn't really look that bad. I would be happy with it myself. Don't be so hard on it. I like it.

I say Bravo!

bigearl91

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments!

Now that I have quenched the thirst for exhaust fumes, I will be taking my time on the next project, and quite fancy documenting it.

Today is the big garage clearup and reset, then to check my materials for the next build...

Ta
Earl

Last edited:

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Reaction score
Earl--Any first engine that runs is a beautiful engine. You are now a member of a world wide association of clever fellows who have actually built and ran an engine. Congratulations, big time.---Brian Rupnow

Johno1958

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Earl ,very nice engine .Runs like a charm

bigearl91

Reaction score
Thanks again for the comments guys, much appreciated.

Was a 4 hour reset/clean/organise in the garage but she's now ready again for more chips, lubricants and dykem!

Away with work for 7 weeks from tomorrow unfortunately, but it should fly in! Gives time for my asian gears to come through Brian :cool:

Cheers
Earl

popnrattle

Reaction score
great runner. Congratulations! I have found that Crown Camp fuel w/ 5-10% WD40(from gal. can, not the spray stuff) works the best in my miniature hit-n-miss engines. Later, rt.

bigearl91

Reaction score
great runner. Congratulations! I have found that Crown Camp fuel w/ 5-10% WD40(from gal. can, not the spray stuff) works the best in my miniature hit-n-miss engines. Later, rt.

Thanks RT, and again for the advice on fuel! I was stabbing completely in the dark at first, and after messing around with different fuels and oil mixtures I settled on plain 16% nitro for this. Long story short, I wanted to remove another variable when trying to get it to run steadly(ish), especially whilst getting the carb tuned in a bit. It's all new to me so having to track fuel mixtures whilst trying to tune the carb all felt a bit like going around in circles.

I will bear this in mind for future though, as I say this project is now laid to rest, sat on the desk next to me :)

Ta
Earl

aka9950202

Reaction score
I have seen many "well made" engines that don't run. The fact that it runs makes it perfect.
Cheers,
Andrew in Melbourne