The Joe Martin Craftsmanship Museum

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchannum

Reaction score
I posted this on the HSM site, and thought I would also post here. If you haven't visited yet, do put it on your list. If you have visited, do it again as it is changing with new additions added continually. They are in process of building a larger site to be opened soon.

I have just returned from vacation. The first week was spent with my son and daughter in law in Carlsbad Ca. This time I was able to get in a visit to the Joe Martin Craftsmanship Museum in Vista. It was well worthwhile, and I encourage anyone remotely near the area to make a visit as well.

Visitors are accompanied by a docent. We arrived at noon and were fortunate to have the director, Craig Libuse for a guide. Joe Martin was in for a visit and we had a chance to chat with him as well. We were later joined by Pam Weiss, Lead Toolmaker who had several of her models on display as well as an almost completed Gatling Gun and her version of Ron Colonna's Offy engine in precess.

Pam is a very talented machinist and modelmaker, and it was a very enjoyable visit with both her and Craig. The tours are very low key, and you are not at all rushed, but encouraged to take as much time as you wish.

The tour starts in the shop area of the museum, and a Westbury Seal and Jerry Howell's V-4 engines are demonstrated as well as the shop itself. You then go upstairs to the museum itself.

The museum is beautifully done, all models are well displayed with maker's name as well as all pertinent information included. Most are in glass cases, but are very accessable for up close inspection and photos. The Rudy Kouhoupt collection is in the first room, the Knapp collection takes up a large part of the second room. They are currently building a larger facility nearby to make room for more models.

I had my camera with me, but did not unlimber it as it was a case of taking a photo of every model or none. They do have an excellent CD of photos of the collection available for a small contribution, and I availed myself of one of them.

This video gives a good account of what you can expect to see.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7zRJyK66I0[/ame]

The museum is an adjunct to the Sherline Factory. As we arrived around lunch time, there was no one in the museum, and we were directed around back to contact a guide. We passed through a portion of the manufacturing and shipping area on our way back through to the museum proper, and it is one of the cleanest, most orderly facilities I have seen, quite a contrast to the South Bend factory in its final days and an indication of the quality and attention to detail one can expect from their products.

After leaving the museum, we had lunch and then went to the Vista Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum which is a couple of miles away. This is a 55 acre facility with many antique farming engines and machines. It is open every day of the week, and you are free to roam the grounds. This was my second visit, and, while there were a few people around, you are pretty much on your own. Admission is free and you should plan at least four hours or more to see it all. Prepare for dust and uneven ground and bring water.

They have a website, but I do not seem to be able to access it for some reason so I am forced to supply a Tiffipedia link for it;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antique..._Engine_Museum

Latest posts

Back