The Contraption

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeChatNoir

Reaction score
First off, for those who may not have seen my introductory post in the Welcome, thread,

Hello!!

After my brief intro in that thread, Mel, aka lugnut, asked that I post some pics and a brief history of the project that has lead me to this forum. I’ll try to keep it brief but interesting, but be warned… I’m known for long posts sometimes.

The short version:

I want to make a steam engine to power a vehicle that I've created, and hope to increase my knowledge of steam power, in part, by hanging out around here.

The longer version:

In December 2006 I decided to undertake a project for an event I’ve been participating in for some years now, known as the Burning Man arts festival. This event is held in the very flat, very hard packed dry lake bed of the Black Rock Desert in Nevada. My project, known as “The Contraption“, was made specifically for this event and constructed of “junked” farm implements that had been laying around my place for many years.

My goal was to create a “vehicle that never was“, and to make it appear as if it were some relic from 100 years past, discovered in a barn and brought back to life. It is comprised primarily of three implements: a horse drawn disc harrow, a horse drawn tobacco setter, and a tractor pulled ground powered hay rake, or windrow maker. All other parts were either created or compiled from various pieces, forgings, and weldments.

It’s human powered via the reciprocation of a pump mechanism which charges a flywheel. Power is sent to the rear wheels via a lever which engages a dual v-belt final drive. The entire unit moves at a whopping 2.2 mph and was very effective in engaging people, getting them to interact with each other and the machine (one of the main premises of the event is interaction and participation… no spectators).

While the human powered aspect of The Contraption was great fun, its natural progression is to become motorized. Though I’ve toyed with the idea of an antique hit-n-miss engine, I’m leaning towards steam, since there is already a large contingent of steam machines and art projects that appear at the event. These things really capture my heart, so to name a few of the larger ones, Kinetic Steam Works brings a Case Traction Engine, theres “The Steam Punk Treehouse“, and also“Neverwas Haul”, a self motivating steam powered Victorian house.

So it looks like that’s the direction I’ll be going.

I’m hoping to both learn from this forum and contribute as well. My skill set is such that I feel able to machine my own engine without issue and so that’s my ultimate goal.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this, and please forgive me if I've overloaded you. Following are some pics and a short description for each. Please do comment as I’d love to hear other’s ideas on what type of engine, what look and feel, anything you have to add, I'm open to it.

Until then, I'm going to be exploring the forum.

Thanks again for the warm welcome,

LCN

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

The Contraption, ready for loading and departure:

8-11-072small.jpg

The 24" diameter flywheel in the shop, just completed:

05-09-07small.jpg

A shot of the brakes and linkages:

brakeassembly1small.jpg

In the pilot's seat (note the gears at the bottom of the tiller):

driversseatsmall.jpg

And finally an eerie shot taken during an intense dust storm in the Black Rock Desert, at around 2:00 pm on a sunny day. 60mph winds at times during this particular storm.

P8310437small.jpg

Thats one heck of a creation! I like the flywheel very interesting way to make it up.

If your looking to steam think seriously about a flash steam plant and maybe one of the larger Stuart Turner verticle engines. I have a feeling one would look a treat on your creation. Flash steam would allow you to burn oil or diesel and still get the effect your looking for.

Brilliant contraption! I think i want one for the road lol

Cheers Kevin

Wonderful stuff, I particularly like the flywheel, totally lateral thinking.
It looks like how my car is now.
By the way, those splits in the front of the seat could easily make your eyes water.

John

Bogstandard said:
By the way, those splits in the front of the seat could easily make your eyes water.

Heh heh... indeed. If you look carefully at the first pic, you may note that the seat in that photo is not the one in the "looking down" pic. My fiance's father has taken quite a shine to this project and so donated a "new" tractor seat to the cause. And bless his heart for it.

compound driver said:
If your looking to steam think seriously about a flash steam plant and maybe one of the larger Stuart Turner verticle engines. I have a feeling one would look a treat on your creation.

Yes... the main thing about adding an engine is that I want to keep with the "theme". My idea is that this machine was marketed to the cost conscious farmer sometime around 1880. Then the kids grew up or just plain got tired of pumping the thing an so a engine "upgrade" was purchased and added on at some point.

I've got to give careful consideration to how it mounts and where.

It should be noted also, that the tall "smokestack" is actually a propane powered flame puffer. With all those steam puffing machines running around out there, dang it... The Contraption can puff too... but we can puff FIRE!! It was timed to the rear wheels, so the faster you go, the faster it puffed. This could either be incorporated into the real steam exhaust or disconnected from the wheels and turned into an "on-demand" operator actuated fire effect.

neat. the steam punk concept is interesting a little retro history, a little art a bit of recycling.
Tin

If your looking to steam think seriously about a flash steam plant...

Regarding boilers, here’s what I’ve learned so far:

Monotube boilers are better since they’re a bit easier to build and safer. I’m not familiar with a flash steam boiler. Can you elaborate or point me in a direction? I’ll Google it too. I had hoped to run the thing on either propane or waste veg oil (even better) so that would be nice.

Regarding engine size, I know that horsepower is not a fair way to measure steam engines due to full torque at low rpms. Still, its where I’m starting from so at least some caparison may be drawn. We had four people pumping The Contraption and it performed very well. The motion of the pump wore you out before the effort to pump it did.

I’ve understood that a human can generate 0.3 hp under ideal conditions. Assuming the best, that means with 1.2hp we were moving ourselves, two passengers, a pilot, and the machine without any problems. If I were looking to a Gas engine, I’d think a 1.5-2.0 hp would suffice, especially due to gear advantage of stepping the higher engine rpms down to match the current gearing (50 rpm at the pump = 220rpm at the flywheel = 2.2mph at the wheels). We don’t need to go more than 10 mph tops.

As to steam engine size? I’m not sure.

So this is where I’m coming from, just for a better understanding.

AHA!!!

So Monotube Boiler and Flash Steam Boiler are synonymous!

Hi
flash steam is very safe if you get past the hot bits. If it does go bang it only goes pop. The worst your going to get is small bore tube worth of hot steam and water as opposed to several gallons of high temp water flashing to scalding steam.
The other advantage is it comes to working pressure very fast almost in a few minutes.
Most all of the steam cars used it including the Stanley steamer and that would have been from around the era your looking at.
All you need is a long length of stainles steel tube and some enthusiasm for bbednding nice spirals.

Cheers kevin

I like the idea of using stainless tubing rather than copper, since it seems even safer as far as bearing the temps.. It might increase steam up time a bit (lower thermal conductivity), but I don't see that as a huge issue either.

So if in a Flash Steam boiler, the water must be continuously feed into the boiler with slight pressure... How is this normally accomplished? Mechanical fuel pump?

Could a hand pumped pressure vessel be used?

I'd love to find an junk steam carpet cleaner boiler to at least look at... Hmmm (mental note to self... begin to scrounge for parts)

By the way, I should say here that I've a friend about an hour form me who's a boiler engineer. He's offered to get together with me in the near future to have a part in it, but educating myself now seems better than just waiting to inundate him with questions later.

Thanks again,

LCN

That's about the size I was thinking, at least as best I can tell. The one in the photo appears to be a two cylinder V. On a side note, I've seen a fellow who used old compressor pump as steam engine. Seemed to work well and be an accessible form of steam power for folks without the means to machine one out. It just so happens that I know where there's a two cylinder V-type compressor pump laying around. But this seems almost like cutting a corner.

I've always been interested in helping others see that any project they set their mind to is within reach, and using such available parts could help foster that, I think. But, I'm really leaning towards something with a bit more.. um.. shall we say, "Mechanical Music"?

By the way, I was looking through those pics you posted the other day, too. I love the giant power plant on the trailer.

Ok... back to work for me.

LCN
I'm absolutely enthralled with the Contraption...LOL. Once flash steam is produced the natural heat enduced flow comes into play and acts as it's own pump. Steam flushes form the lines and more water flows in. the simplest version is a pop pop boat engine where water flashes to steam and exits via one port while sucking n a new load of water on the other port. A gravity fed reservoir eases the interval problems.

Leno has a steam car called a Doble that was of such high efficiency that you can drive off right after you ignite the boiler. I understand he is the rather proud holder of the record for being stopped for speeding in a steam powered auto. They say the cop was totally blown away that he was writing up a steamer for doing close to 100 mph.

You might check in with Techantiques. Charlie usually has some nice real world steam engines and the odd boiler for sale.

Thanks for the links and info, Cedge.

I ran across the Doble online today, actually, and have been reading up on it. that type of boiler seems very much like what I need. I also found some plans for a nice looking monotube boiler here (bottom of the page) but am waiting a bit before ordering them. Though I probably will in the end, since anything tucked in the book shelves is just more empowering.

I'm glad you're enjoying that old rusty thing. If, at the end of the day, I have made somebody grin, then I guess I've done ok.

Heh Heh...

LCN

HI
You will want a feed water pump its not good just working on the steam drawing water you can end up with dry tunes and thats a goodnight for teh boiler.
Nothing elaborate just a plunger pump with a couple of clack valves.

In a car id certainly go with flash steam wouldnt even consider a normal boiler too much fuss.
fule wise old chip oil or diesel would work fine. I looked at one that burnt new cooking oil the smell was ok but the used oil gives you a hunger for fish n chips.

The difference between copper and stainless steel on the tube for thermal conductivity is so small in thin wall tube its not worth the worry. I doubt you would see the time diference between lighting the candle and trundeling off.

We have built a couple of small flash steam mostly for high speed hydroplane model racing boats. Back in the 50's it was all the rage.

Cheers Kevin

I think that will indeed help. Just for inspirational value alone, its a gold mine!

Thank you!

Ok, I’ve a question…

It makes good sense to me that you’d need some sort of pressure on the feed end, even if it had natural flow due to the heated water rising, since it would insure that it doesn’t get a dry spot in the tube. But here’s what I can’t understand and can’t find anywhere on the web. (But I'm going to poke around on Google books now that I've had that pointed out to me... MWHAAA HAA HAA...er.. I mean "Tee Hee Hee")

It seems to me that if you have steam at say… 100psi, then it seems like you’d have to have an infeed pressure matching to overcome the pressure at the far end of the boiler tube. But if you had that before the boiler comes up to pressure, then you’d just be squirting water out the other end.

I know there’s a simple explanation for this that I’m overlooking, but I just can’t see it. And living where I do, I don’t exactly have anyone nearby to mentor under. So I’m tele-mentor-under-ing! Or something like that...

LeChatNoir,

This thing is just cool! I have been catching myself thinking about it and the craftsmanship that went into it.

Unfortunately, I am not of much help with the steam engine ideas, but I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit. The guys here will most undoubtedly steer you in the right direction.

Thanks wareagle,

Though it nearly wore me out, I've certainly had a lot of fun putting it together. And lots of other people got their hands into it as well. There was a couple, a few years younger than myself, who wanted to help. Not only was it their first time messing with large pieces of steel heated to a bright, glowing orange, but they got to do so while helping me fabricate the flywheel rim!! It was terrific fun watching their eyes get opened to such a thing.

Latest posts

Back