Howdy from the wilds of Arizona!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-in-AZ

Kevin E von Moses
Reaction score
I started making parts in high school, working after school from 4pm to Midnight, doing all sorts of other things and finally making slides for a variety of weapons for Ruger in Prescott, AZ when my heart decided to do a double back flip, retiring me on SSI.

My curiosity is if anyone wants to make a steam engine based on a Wankel rotary.

Read on if you are game.... if not, HOWDY!! and I hope to see some more of the neat engines I have seen so far. Thanks!!

I began exploring alternatives to the present day Internal Combustion Engine in 1985, finally testing two reciprocating prototypes in 1999.

I call it the Phoenix Steam Principle and it is a closed loop, external combustion, steam engine... In principle, the PSP eliminates the intake and compression strokes of an Internal Combustion Engine and the boiler, plumbing and valving of conventional steam engines.

I heated the bores of a one liter three cylinder block from a Geo Metro by using a 150,000 Btu Commercial burner and a manifold that directed the heat directly to the surface of the bores by way of the freeze plug holes directly over them.

I made my own head with a simple valve to exhaust the bores in turn, returning the steam to an exchanger and back to the pump that charged piezoelectric Diesel injectors because that was what was available in 1998.

The prototype wouldn’t idle below 20hp under load so it could be put in a chassis and driven, but when run at the block’s 55hp and 5,500rpm, the fuel flow was 20% of a normal Geo Motor. The cycling of the heat caused the bores to work loose, so I used the parts to test for max power on another fresh block.

When the injected water caused the burner to stay on 100% of the time, the engine produced 282hp. That was at thermodynamic equilibrium of 310 degrees. When the water was shut off and the block allowed to be heat soaked at 400 degrees and the water flow ‘slammed’ into the bores, the motor spiked to 630hp for thirty seconds and blew completely apart, destroying the head.

Recently a friend of mine asked me if my principle would work as a rotary or Wankel design and he sent a .gif with his question... Please examine the .gif provided.

As a Wankel based design, exhaust porting would be positioned to be exposed just at the point where the volume began to reduce and be closed as the volume reached minimum.

Now there are Gasoline Direct Injectors capable of metering the water to 0.03gr at an idle in a 40cc displacement and up to 12.7gr per the Delco data sheets and 1.2 liters displacement at 230psi for a single rotor controlling both Torque produced and RPM. The exhaust and Injector would be mirrored on the opposing volumes of the same cases, doubling the number of powers strokes per revolution.

By using available rotors and crankshafts, the cases can be manufactured from known values, simplifying construction.

Heating the cases would be by a burner no more sophisticated that the burners found in a commercial deep fryer.

By way of example, the Mazda 1.8 liter 13b, twin rotor turbocharged rotary makes 235hp... based on the same applied pressures, (230psi), the PSP, doubling the number of power strokes per revolution should make a peak of 470hp on two rotors or half of that as a single rotor.

A single rotor of 40cc’s should make 16hp, or enough to be a very compact range extender for EVs.

Where the original Mazda got 16mpg, the PSP should get 140mpg or more, depending on chassis weight and fuel selected. The combustion can be at peak efficiency, reducing both the volume and pollution characteristics by as much as 90%.

In an era where the interest in Electric Vehicles seem to predominate, the projections are that by 2040 only 6% of the Vehicles produced will be fully Electric, meaning that while no new engine development is underway, the demand for cleaner more powerful engines will continue.

Anyone interested in doing something a little different?

The Phoenix Steam Principle has intellectual property conception time/stamp by the submission of a Monograph that is copywrite protected.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wan...&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=2ADLS_-eV1e6gM:

Hi and welcome from the land down under.

Not far from Victoria. I'm in South Australia, the next state west of Victoria.

Latest posts

Back