Coles - an answer and a question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckerdi

Reaction score
someone asked “whatever happened to Coles Power Models”? I am a the widow of Martin Becker, the first gentleman to take over Coles from Charlie Cole. And I know the answer.

Martin was a famous special effects man (before his Wikipedia site got rewritten and other people took credit for his many groundbreaking accomplishments), and avid steam machinist, collecting and building both 7” gauge trains and stationary steam models. He got cancer shortly after acquiring the business and it was run for a bit by his employees who apparently didn’t care about keeping all the original dies and drawings in order (from what I heard later). When Martin died 6 months later, in 2004, I was overwhelmed with two small children, taking care of him, and a life-threatening illness myself (I’m fine now)—and I was told the smart business decision would be to to sell it for scrap. Instead, I found someone who seemed passionate and knowledgeable about the model-building business, and sold it “as is” to him, against everyone’s advice, on a handshake. He didn’t even have the money to pay me, so I agreed to lend it to him, as well. I felt for the Model builders I had been talking to on the phone for the previous 6 months, who had their projects half completed, I couldn’t just leave them high and dry.

The deal was, after Ken finished paying for the company, then he’d buy the museum models that Charlie Cole carefully built with his own hands over the years—the perfect, beautiful functioning models used in his catalogues, which I still have. Of course, once he picked everything up and moved it to Texas he found some excuse not to pay and I really had little recourse, nor time and energy to pursue it. But I do have the whole collection (complete) even the three-foot long tractor and need the money more than ever.

So that’s the answer, here’s the question:

I’m wondering what you guys think—everyone’s saying if I break it up and sell it off as separate items I’ll do better, but if you guys have ideas of places that would appreciate its value as a collection, I’d rather keep it together. I thought of the fact that Coles Power Models might need it for their catalogue, but I’d rather not even get back on that guy's radar.

So sad to read about the demise of the Cole's Power Models. I grew up with them watching my dad machine some of them. I even have the Challenger V-8 that I am working on. Actually purchased the casting back in the 70's. I don't have much advise as to what to do with the existing models, just make sure you know the value of them and stick to your guns as far as selling. Good Luck

Back